Replacing furnace blower motor

Page 2 of 2

kjpro wrote:

Ha. Ha. By this reasoning only professionals should change wheels on cars-- someone might put the wheel on backward and with power the vehicle would just spin around. Seriously, anyone that doesn't know what they are doing, should hire someone who does, but reading a few books can often provide all the knowledge anyone needs. Anyone that doesn't have enough sense to check motor direction before installing, shouldn't. There are damn few thing I can't do or fix around my house and I'll do it better and a lot cheaper than a professional. Those things I don't do because I don't have the tools or the desire to learn are ac stuff and complicated electronics in a gas furnace.

The problem for most people is, if you don't have the sense to know something, how do you tell that you don't have it? :-)
My previous house had an old (like, 40 years) Williams 5-in-one furnace. Me being too cheap to actually replace the unit, I chose to fix things as they broke. After removing the non-functioning electronic aircleaner, replacing the already removed by the previous owner humidifier, replacing the thermostat, blower motor and gas valve (which failed open one night!), the electronics failed. So, unable to find replacement parts that I was willing to pay for, I replaced the electronics with some generic off-the-shelf components. I also learned a lot about how HVAC systems work :-) After a day or two of fiddling with adjustments, it worked fine for for several years, and was still there when I sold the house. The new owner will probably replace the whole system... he seems like that kind of guy <grin>.

Good deal.

Like I think we all said..:)

Not from the two HVAC guys you heard from..or was it 3? No matter... A little advice for you, file it back...
The guys behind the counter, they dont work in the field. Most could not install a motor...thats MOST..not all, if you stood over them and told them what to do. A 3 speed units fine, but as I think I said before, it MIGHT NOT be what you need, particularly if the speed that you need is missing. This is why a real tech, will replace the unit, with that is supposed to be there. It might be possible to replace it with a 2 speed, but unless you know what the TD and TR will be after you do this, you can create issues you didnt have before. I say real tech...sheesh..who am I kidding? We all know that if you take 2000 so called real techs, you got about 100 in the bunch..

Not being an ass, but that you know of. A three speed GE 1/3 HP motor for 60? Good...hope they gave you that cap... Glad to hear its right, but at some point, you might really want to have a tech (when he services the unit for winter) run a TR check on it..thats temp rise btw....nothing fancy...but it can keep you from cracking your heat exchanger.

D O G wrote:

Didn't mean to imply you were either, just a generalization to identify someone who shouldn't be allowed near a kitchen knife. But I disagree with you analysis of success. If you are either stupid or incompetent, it is unlikely you will succeed. If you are really stupid, you won't take advice, you can't learn, think you already know it, and you will fail. If you are incompetent you just plain can't use the knowledge you already supposedly have and won't get it right (at least most of the time it won't be right). Don't equate stupid with uneducated. The person that doesn't know much and is willing to learn, particularly if they have a gift for problem solving and an intuitive understanding will likely succeed.

Humm...no....since a WHEEL, unless its a true directional, in the sense of pattern, not function, could care less. A blower wheel, however, DOES care what direction it is turning in.

CBHvac wrote:

Yeah, I know that was lame, and yes I know that put the wheel on backwards won't change the direction it turns and the car won't spin. Hey, it was like all analogies... imperfect.

Mounting? Diameter? LOL
-- kjpro _-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>
( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail
Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!
_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>

Not many try it themselves. The ones that do and suceed I have to congratulate. A tech can waltz in, pull the blower, remove the motor, clean the cage, reinstall a new, properly sized motor and cap, re-install the blower, and write the bill up in less than an hour in 90% of the cases.
You, on the other hand may waste a day or more finding the motor, going back and getting the capicator, figureing out how to remove the blower, knocking off a wheel weight off the wheel, re-install the possibly incorrect motor, re-install the blower, pull the motor to figure out where the cap goes, re-re-install the blower, wonder why the $%^%$ the thing vibrates, remeber about the wheel weight, spend another day plus trying to replace the weight at the correct place, finally giving up and looking for a new wheel, etc.etc. What's your time worth?

And many people mess things up, too. I charge more to fix something the HO tried first. Why? I have to figure out what the origonal problem was first.

Hi D, hope you are having a nice day
On 18-Aug-03 At About 21:05:11, D O G wrote to All Subject: Re: Replacing furnace blower motor
DOG> >> Get a *competent*, licensed, professionally trained, HVAC technician >> to DOG> get >> the problem diagnosed and corrected properly. It will save you money >> in the long run.
>> I had a customer that wanted to do it himself. He burned his brand >> new motor and still had to pay me to come out and install a new motor
DOG> but replacing a motor does DOG> seem quite doable to me. I already took it out, all I have to do is DOG> buy a new one and put it back in.
DOG> So, if anybody has answers to my original questions, I'd appreciate DOG> it very much.
The questions you are asking are very basic and that is why we are trying to get you to understand that it isn't quite as easy as you are thinking it is. it is very easy to burn a relay or even easier to burn up that circuit board that most of the new ones have nowadays. all it takes is one wire in the wrong place and you have a nicely toasted mess.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. "After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in?" - s.w.

You asked questions...no question is stupid if you do not know the answer, however, you may not like the answer you get. Please keep that in mind.

If you have a 4 speed unit, you need 4 speeds. IF you have a dual speed, normally, you need 4 speeds. WHY? The speeds are there for a reason. Its a little thing called static pressure, and the motors have more than one speed for a reason. Even a heat pump, that the motor runs at the same speed regardless of heat or cool mode, will have at least 3 options.

Nope. Its all in the wiring, and how the unit you have, that no one on the net can see, and the duct design that you have, calls for.

It may not work right, thats correct.

Just explosion of the cage...the unit is rated for a particular load, at a particular RPM, using a particular HP...go higher, and the cage COULD spin faster than designed, and it COULD come apart...real fun at over 1000 RPM...

You can get anything you want, but, if you have to ask that, its time to stop...

There isnt a place on the net, in all honesty, that is a good place to buy a motor, unless you are a certified tech. Everyone else wants too much for crap motors. Your best bet, to insure a safe, and complete repair, while its not rocket science, IS to call a local competent, and licenced tech out to make sure that it is actually the motor you need...and insure that if it is, you do not end up like the guy over in Greensboro that was a crispy critter for trying to replace his motor. No..its not all doom and gloom...but, better safe than sorry, and in all honesty, from your questions, you could get hurt, particularly since the replacement motor MAY NOT be wired the same way.
I have a varity of motors, that fit that bill. They range in price from about $30 each to over $150. It depends on the application, design of the unit, and other factors that we simply can not see over the net.
Call a tech...really.

<rest snipped>
I replaced the blower motor on my unit last week. A few tips: #1 - Have a service tech come out and trouble-shoot the unit. It was well worth the $65 for him to do so.
I have been in the mechanical contracting business (plbg & hvac) for over 30 years. All the systems I've installed were new commercial units. I was never in the hvac service business. The tech's info was invaluable (as it could have been a relay, capacitor, etc.)
I killed the power to the unit, checked for assurance with a volt meter, and removed the entire squirrel cage assembly. I removed the motor, and replaced it with a Baldor motor. I completely cleaned the cage and assembly and allowed it to dry while I went back into the attic, cleaned both my drains, coil, and compartment area. I reassembled everything, connected the wiring as to the diagram furnished with the motor regarding RPM, etc. The unit tested out just fine and is operating normally. I also installed a new programmable thermostat.
The advice you were given was good advice, DOG. I'm not saying (as is anyone else) that you *can't* do it, but some background experience is a dangerous thing. A *lot* of experience is even better. If you proceed, then by all means recruit the help of a professional.
Best of luck to you can be careful.
Jim