replacing flourescent lighting with hi-hats in basement

I am redoing my basement and I wanted to put all H7 hi hats to replace the flourescent lighting. I presently have 4 1X4 fixtures in. I am trying to figure out how many hi-hats equals 1 fixture as far as lighting goes. I have plenty of room in my electric panel so running a new circuit is not a problem.

Reply to
Mikepier

What type and watt bulbs do you plan to use. I think what you have equals about 640w incandesant , maybe 2300-3000 lumen each, so you might have 12000 lumen now and its not directional like downlights. You will Im guessing maybe need 16-20000 lumen to equal what you have now, spiral cfls probably will overheat, cfl flood lights might work,

2-4 pin flourescents will work. So maybe 20, 13w 2 pin flourescent lights?
Reply to
ransley

As Ransley points out, there are too many variables. The fluorescent strips will spread the light better than a downlight, especially if the ceiling is low. The H7 is adjustable so you can at least lower the lamp to the plane of the ceiling which will help spread the light. I'm sure Halo has on their website, the photometrics of each trim type to help you figure it out

Reply to
RBM

You are going to need to research it a bit. Maybe buy a couple of clamp on lights, put the bulbs in those and see how the light spreads. If I knew the area and the LxW of the room I might be able to offer a suggestion or two to get you on the right track.

I just transformed the darkest, dreariest kitchen I own to a warm friendly one by replacing a single four foot 2 bulb with 6 recessed lights. Three of those are over the countertop, one is over the stove and two are for the general area. I organized those lights on three switches so that the light could match the function needed at the time. One switch controls one light, one switch controls 2 lights and the third controls 3. The lighting load can match the required need with a flip of the switch.

Reply to
Colbyt

Hi-hats? Aren't those part of a drum set? What are they? Post a photo.

Whatever you do, do NOT install Boob Lights

jw

Either way. With proper lighting, as given off by florescents, you and visitors will be looking at your stuff. With crummy lighting, such as the high-hats, people will be looking at the light fixtures.

Reply to
HeyBub

I agree there are too many variables. What is the room used for. How much light do you need. Does the light have to be pretty uniform or are lighted and dim areas OK. Recessed lights can be 'dramatic' but can easily produce dim areas. If lit by one recessed light your hands can cast shadows on what you are working on (if you are working on something).

Reply to
bud--

No so oddly I have a set of those in the rental house I bought. The light is very even, considering it is coming from a boob. Not a clue what I would replace it with...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies