Replacing Fan in a High Ceiling - Ideas?

I need to replace a ceiling fan that is suspended from a high ceiling. The ceiling is about 20 feet up and the fan is on about a 6 foot down rod.

I can reach the fan motor OK with my 10 foot ladder. But getting all the way to the ceiling mounting point would require scaffolding.

Is there some safe and legal way to splice the wires from a new fan motor to the existing wires in the down rod so that I don't have to go all the way to the ceiling to connect the new fan?

Reply to
The Streets

I don't have actual experience with this, but logic tells me the original one was just wire nutted at the end of the down rod to begin with. I did sell ceiling fans briefly when the first became popular in the '80s & if someone wanted a down rod install, we sold them the same fan we would have for a normal install, + a down rod kit.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Perhaps you can touch the fan with your 10' ladder, but can you stand on it and hold the heavy motor and wire it up, without falling?

Reply to
Bob M.

I am not much at electrical know-how, but had a somewhat similiar problem this winter when I needed to paint my stairway and replace the horrible old stairway light -- also some twenty or so feet up.

Building some scaffolding was not all that difficult. I followed some tips on I think it was the Bob Vila website, which was basically to get some sturdy ladders and get a sturdy plank to stretch between the ladders.

For my project, on the stairs, I just ran the plank from a small ladder at the top of the stairs, straight across to an extension ladder I wedged in at the bottom of the stairs. I really hate heights, but it was really sturdy and worked well.

Something along that line, only with two tall sturdy ladders and a helper or two might work for you.

Reply to
tim birr

I am not much at electrical know-how, but had a somewhat similiar problem this winter when I needed to paint my stairway and replace the horrible old stairway light -- also some twenty or so feet up.

Building some scaffolding was not all that difficult. I followed some tips on I think it was the Bob Vila website, which was basically to get some sturdy ladders and get a sturdy plank to stretch between the ladders.

For my project, on the stairs, I just ran the plank from a small ladder at the top of the stairs, straight across to an extension ladder I wedged in at the bottom of the stairs. I really hate heights, but it was really sturdy and worked well.

Something along that line, only with two tall sturdy ladders and a helper or two might work for you.

OR you could go rent a couple of lifts of pipe staging with a couple of alluminum staging planks...OR you could buy the same since you have a high cathedral that will need paint or other work in the future...Check Craigs list or your local paper for used ones..ALOT of construction companies going out of business or scaling back...There are good deals out there right now...

Reply to
benick

no

Rent or buy the scafolding, a taller ladder, or hire somebody.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

responding to

G wrote: There is the Little Giant option.

We use the Skyscraper model that has a height of 21? as an A frame ladder with some versatility in its configuration that allows work close to walls or in the middle of the ceiling.

These are pretty wide at the base and pretty heavy. Use pretty much requires a two man team and the ladders cost around 900.00 but when you need it there is really nothing else quite like it.

G wrote the following:

There is the Little Giant option.

Posted June 25, 2009

Reply to