replacing exterior studs

There was water damage in my master bath from a leaky shower. Now I must replace the framing that was around it. The shower sat in an exterior corner of the house.

The exterior of the house is a brick veneer, and there currently is water resistant gypsum board nailed to the exterior sides of the studs (between the framing and the brick). I assume this is normal? If so, how on earth do you replace the studs and at the same time hang the sheetrock, without tearing out the brick and doing it from the outside? I hope someone has an ingenious idea for this conundrum...

Thanks, Jason

Reply to
Jason Young

That is a partial fix but the brick is supposed to be tied to the stud wall and now it is tied to bad studs.

There is a fix for that. Dur-a-wal makes repair brick ties. You drill a hole in the mortar between bricks that is in line with the stud. Screw in the first part of the tie into the stud and the expanding part is torqued on top of it. Next you fill the hole with mortar. If you want the link I will look for it. We did our hole house but that is another story.

replace the

exterior

someone has an

Reply to
Art Begun

Yes, it has been drying out for some time now. I had already removed some of the sheetrock because it was wet and moldy. So basically the bottom 1/3 is missing this barrier right now. So leaving the old studs there doesn't help me much. Thanks for the suggestion though!

--jason

Reply to
Jason Young

Hmmm.. maybe I should invest in a masonry book. Are you supposed to attach at *every* stud, and at what heights? I haven't removed any of the existing studs yet, so I do not know if they were 'tied' to begin with...

Please post that link if you can remember it. I did a search for dur-a-wal and didn't find anything relevant.

--jason

Reply to
Jason Young

All brick veneer walls should be tied to wall studs every 2 square feet or so. Unfortunately, it often is not done or the ties just go into the sheathing. One major problem is the use of Tyvack or other moisture barrier. How can even a good mason know where the studs are if the sheathing is covered with paper. The tyvac should be marked when put up with the outlines of the studs.

Reply to
Art Begun