replacing entry door that had 4 7/8 jamb

Looking to replace my entry door this summer. But I measured the existing jamb to be 4 7/8". Most of the new doors I've seen are 4

9/16", a 5/16" difference. The front of the house is brick. How does someone deal with this difference? Do the brick molds make up the difference?
Reply to
Mikepier

three options:

  1. special order a door with a custom jamb size.

  1. extend the jambs with a 5/16 strip of wood, either on the inside or the outside. you might be able to buy something like screenmolding or parting stop of the shelf at a lumberyard that would work.

  2. rabbet 5/16 out of the back side of the trim where goes against the wall. leave the full thickness where it contacts the jamb. this won't work on the inside if you have thin casings such as colonial casing. It would work on the brickmold, though. you'd need a table saw for this.
Reply to
marson

Is htere some reason why you are replacing the door jamb? You can get just the door and replace it only. It's actually very easy, possibly easier than replacing the door + jamb.

Reply to
scott21230

"> 2. extend the jambs with a 5/16 strip of wood, either on the inside or

If the door opens in, then you have to make it flush with the inside or you are going to have problems with the hinges.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

There is nothing wrong with the jamb, but I wanted to get a steel door and I thought it would be easier to get a pre-hung door. If I would consider a wood door, then maybe I would try to just replace the door. I have replaced interior doors in my house, keeping the jambs, so it would not be that hard for me, other than the heavy weight of the door. I do not know if 5/16 of an inch would make that much difference, so thats why I figured let me ask here first and see what others have done.

Reply to
Mikepier