Replacing electric recept

Hi Neil!

N > We have a house built in 1965 that I'd like to install GFI receptacles N > in as an added safety precaution for our 15-month old. We have N > three-prong grounded outlets with copper wiring, but on many of the N > receptacles I cannot get the outlet cover off (they are metal and N > there is a center screw). Are these likely just painted on, or did N > they make a one-piece box and cover. Assuming the former, any N > suggestions for separating the cover from the receptacle?

More than likely stuck/painted on. (Hate it when people are ao lazy they can't bother to remove the cover to do a decent job!) Try taking a razor blade to score the paint around the cover, then prying off -- insert screw driver from bottom so marks won't show. Sometimes banging one's fist against the cover flexes it enough to break it loose -- probably won't for a metal cover.

You will probably need only one GFCI per circuit to protect if the outlets are wired from one to the next - put the GFCI in the first outlet of the chain.

  • What do people in China call their good plates?
Reply to
barry martin

Stephen Kurzban