Replacing Dryer Door switch. How can I get at it?

I have a Kenmore dryer. Today I noticed that the door switch is broken and permanently stuck in the closed state. While this means I can still use the dryer, it also means that it will still work with the door open and the light inside won't come on.

I called Sears (makers of Kenmore) and was told that it would cost $60 just to come look at it (more to fix) since it's no longer under warrantee.

I believe I could fix it myself, but I can't figure out how to get at it. From the diagram at

appears that the screw I need to remove the front panel is INSIDE the dryer.

Anyone know how to get the front panel off and get access to the switch?

Reply to
Michael

Getting to the front panel is really easy on these. Look at part #50 on the cabinet diagram. That's just a heavy-duty catch, or snap. The top surface of the dryer pivots at the rear, and opens up like a car hood.

You just insert a large screwdriver (padded with a cloth) at the front left and front right corners, and pry upward. It takes a little grunt, but the snaps will pop free, and you'll be looking downward at the part you need to access.

Reply to
Robert A. Barr