Replacing doorbell with intercom?

Hello, I have a normal doorbell. I'd like to replace it with something that rings a bell and allows for communication with the door closed. Does an intercom typically require more wiring than a doorbell? As long as there is power, shouldn't you be able to install something the broadcasts wirelessly to a receiver inside? Thanks

IIt's possible such a thing could exist. Did you try googling for wireless intercoms? Also, if you allow for battery operation, then for sure it's possible.

IIt's possible such a thing could exist. Did you try googling for wireless intercoms? Also, if you allow for battery operation, then for sure it's possible.
Sure, lots of them show up on line including one with a 4-mile range! (in case you have a long driveway, I suppose) There are models with video too. Also, search "wireless doorbells". Some of them come with intercoms.
Tomsic
Name Classified wrote:

I install a number of these, the slave (remote unit) uses only two wires for both power and communication to the master unit, no wireless needed.
http://www.aiphone.com/home/
--
PV

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and