Replacing door sill question

I plan on replacing my front door when the weather gets a little nicer. I might change out the sill. From what I understand it's just a pressure treated 2X6. Do they sell a premade one in which the outer edge is routed to give it a more rounded edge, or do I just by a 2X6 and route it out myself?
"Mikepier" wrote

There are many older homes in my area. The sills were made from oak, that's b/4 treated lumber came about.
The lumber yards sell oak sills, in various sizes (example 3'0"). They are already routed, & have a bevel from the door, out. For water drainage. They are slightly thicker than 1-1/2", though I can't remember the exact size.
It's been probably 5 years since I bought one, and they get a decent buck for them.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0,,20051658,00.html

Thanks for that link. Even though the article does not mention what kind of wood it is, it looks like oak from the picture, so I guess I'll look into it.
Mikepier wrote:

Almost all standard sills are either oak or metal. They're readily available at any decent home supply or building supply.
alt.home.repair:

The last time I replaced a door, I left the old sill in place and pulled the side frames out. The new pre-hung door fit exactly on top of the old sill and covered the holes nicely.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

If you use an oak sill, how do you protect it from the elements? Stain, paint?
Mikepier wrote: ...

Typically, they're reasonably well protected by the eave overhang, porch, etc., ...
You can stain to suit, then good exterior varnish. Not much point in the oak if you're going to paint--the reason for oak beside it being suitably hard is typically the appearance.

buy a pre hung door with a sill.

By far the easiest way to go and you'll get superior weatherstripping results.
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 12:14:59 -0800 (PST), Mikepier wrote:

All the new doors I have seen come with a new sill attached to the jamb.
Mike D.

Are we talking about the same thing? I've seen the new doors at HD and Lowes that come with the metal "threshold" at the bottom. Are you saying they also come with a wooden sill that sits under the threshold?

Most window and door distributors, the kind that contractors use, will sell to the general public, and are typically very helpful with this type of project. I bought my windows from such a place and when I went back asking about a door, they gave me all sorts of catalogs, suggestions and advice. Much more knowledgable than anyone I spoke with at the borgs.
That's where I'll be getting my door from this spring.