Replacing Door Sill and Threshold

I need to replace my door sill and threshold this weekend. I just wanted to know if anybody else had done this and what is the easiest way of getting the old door sill out. What is the best material to cut a door sill out of?
All help is greatly appreciated.
Cut 45 degrees to the width of the door in the middle of the threshold. You can knock out the two pieces with a hammer once it is cut. It's best to buy a replacement threshold and cut it to length. Home Depot has many to pick from. I typically buy oak and apply stain and polyurethane (3 coats).