replacing door gaskets on refrigerator and freezer

I need to replace the gaskets on my refrigerator and freezer doors (15 year old Amana BZ20RL). Rplacing the unit isn;t an option right now.

I can get the gaskets online (RepairClinic. com, &tc.).

The Question: Is replacement any easy process? Or best left to a knowledgable technician. I'm good with tools, I just don;t want to end up going a week without a referigerator.

Thanks a heap,

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Easy job for a handy guy.

Reply to
William Munny

IIRC, a sink full of soapy hot water and a couple of butter knives were all I needed. I've never installed a brand new gasket, but I have had to reinstall a couple where kids or the dog pulled it partially off, and where my brother had removed and fiberglassed a cracked insert in the door. Stare at it awhile and figure where the metal and plastic edges fit in the slots, get one corner started, and work your way around. The hot water and soap degunk old ones, and get the packing kinks out of new ones. Wet and soapy allows you to fine-tune reality a little as you go, like if the second corner on the gasket comes an inch before the second corner on the door.

But that was a lotta years ago- there could be something I am forgetting.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I'm betting you rememberwell.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

I haven't looked up your model but the general procedure is:

  1. Remove the old gasket by taking out the screws.
  2. Install the new gasket by gently stretching it into place and putting back the screws. Don't twist the gasket as you tighten the screws.
  3. Put a little vaseline (_very_ little) on the surface of the new gasket to let it slide a little as the door closes. This keeps the gasket from deforming on the hinge side.
  4. Test for good seal. Close the door on a dollar bill. Try to pull out the bill with the door closed. If you get resistance, the seal is good. If it's easy to pull out, the seal is bad at that spot. Check every six inches or so all around the door. If you find a bad spot, fiddle with the gasket by loosening and tightening the nearby screws.
  5. If the door won't stay closed, force it closed with a strap or duct tape for a day. That will convince the new gasket that you're the boss.
Reply to
SteveBell

Done, took about 3 hrs.

A little tedious, and downright irritating at times. I finally got smart and took the doors off.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

It's easy to do right but it's also easy to mess up.

Some "tricks" include warming tha gasket and being careful when you re-assemble the door that you ensure that in your screw tightening sequence you don't warp the door. Usually you set your drill driving your bits to minimum torque and install all the screws. You check for warp and, if needed, you 'bend' the door. Up the torque of your drill and repeat.

and REPEAT.

IOW: go slow and make sure you don't warp the door. The door is quite solid when the inside line is firmly attached. Until then, it's a very flexible piece of tin. You have to do whatever it takes to keep from warping the door.

Reply to
John Gilmer