Replacing deck with patio: Will dogs use as bathroom?

Being creatures of habit, I suspect they will still use the pea gravel, as unappetizing as that must be to your dogs. Once they get accustomed to the cement patio as a sleeping/lounging area, you might wish to consider grass for the dog run area.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

I have a dog run (pea gravel) on the side of my house, then a few stone steps, then 2 steps up to a redwood deck. My dogs have the run of the deck and sleep on the covered portion. Right now, my dogs, a Labrador Retriever and a Yorkshire Terrier, do their business in the dog run and not on the deck.

I'm worried that when I replace the raised redwood deck with a ground level concrete (or other hard material) patio that the dogs will start using it as a bathroom. Is this likely? Is there a way to make a successful transition so they will recognize the patio as their new home and continue to use the dog run as the bathroom?

Reply to
Bryan

Some grass would be a lot better for your pets. Pea gravel though it drains easily is not the best for their pads over a long period of time.

Who cares if they use the concrete for a potty. Surely you have a hose near by.

Reply to
SQLit