Replacing deck boards options

I am planning on replacing the worn 2x6 boards on my deck. The deck joists are 24" apart. Is there any advantage in using the 5/4 deck boards over the 2x6's? Obviously if I use 5/4 board I will have to add an additional joists. Also I thought of maybe flipping the existing 2x6's to the good side. I did one and it looked pretty good. But I don't know if this is only a short term solution.
For turning over, If the deck was done right the crown of the grain is up so the boards dont cup and hold water, look at the ends. If wood is not rotted cleaning and stain may be all you need, all treated cracks but looks good stained.