replacing clothes washer door bellow

Our clothes washer is 9+ years old and the door bellow (goes between the door and drum in a front-loading clothes washer) needs to be replaced. I found the part. Is this something that can be replaced by someone who has never done anything like it before?

Reply to
Jan Philips

If you go to

and can find the part there, sometimes they have instructional videos that show how to replace the part.

Reply to
TomR

I found it there, but there were no instructions. It does say skill level 2 - do-it-yourself.

Reply to
Jan Philips

Jan Philips wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It would help if you called the part by a more-accurate name, such as "door seal". There's no such part as a "bellow".

Using the term "door seal", I found this YouTube video: I imagine other brands will be very similar.

This project looks pretty simple, but you will be messing with many little doohickeys that need to come apart and go back together in a very specific order. If mechanical aptitude isn't your strong suit, you're probably better off calling in an appliance repairman.

Reply to
Tegger

That is what they call it, see

Thank you.

That could be right.

Reply to
Jan Philips

Jan Philips wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

By golly, you're right. Not a name I would have chosen, but there it is.

Reply to
Tegger

Oren wrote in news:g6d8i8t9p7l9clmck6e0bfkrdpjor6ci52@

4ax.com:

I learned the same thing today. My bad, as the saying goes.

And fenders are "wings". Plus they call a garage a "garridge", to rhyme with "carriage".

Weirdos. But they do have good beer.

Reply to
Tegger

If you say what the make and model is, someone here may be able to find a YouTube or other repair video that shows how to do it.

For example, if you happen to have a Frigidaire Affinity Washer, these two videos may help:

TomR

Do you have a handy neighbor? If so, maybe get him/her to help you. Take photos or a video as you disassemble the current gasket, that will be a big help in putting the new one into place.

I would give it a try, you only get to be handy if you try. There is always some learning, but you have to begin somewhere, and this doesn't seem that complicated. Just use the photos you take very frequently. They're free!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

Well, I cleaned it with bleach and that got most of the mildew, but not all. Then I ran Tide washingmachine cleaner. My wife said that she has tried that product before, and it didn't work.

She wants to replace the front loader with a top loader so water won't stay on the door seal and mildew. I'm trying other solutions, and will replace the seal if needed. For the time being, she isn't complaining about it.

Reply to
Jan Philips