Replacing broken plastic pivot connector

Installed a new air-conditioner yesterday. After everything was just about assembled, one of the small, plastic, protruding connecting pieces broke off the front filter panel. It broke off while forcing the panel into place. Tried gluing it back. Just broke off again. The small plastic piece acts a hinge. There is one on each side. It's important for it acts as a pivot point for opening and closing the front filter panel.

I could go back to Sears and deal with replacing and whole unit or getting a new part. That would be a hassle for such a small problem. Thought of drilling out where the plastic piece was set and putting in a grommet. Unfortunately, I don't have such a tool and I would imagine the surrounding plastic might crack with the pressure of such a tool.

The plastic piece is tubular shaped and only 1/8" or so. Any ideas of how to fix the problem without having to go back to Sears?

Reply to
Charlie S.

Frankly, I would go back to Sears or just hold it together with duct tape. (The metal stuff, not the "cloth" stuff.)

If you take it back, Sears will get the incentive to either make the part stronger or make it easier for buyers to replace small stuff.

I got an air conditioner from Wally World last year that failed within a day or two. I called the 800 number and someone came, took away the insides, and brought it back within a week total elapsed time.

Check the packaging inserts to see whether you have an "in house" repair promise.

If you don't get your next unit from Wally World.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Thanks for the response. Customer service suggested I take the air-conditioner back and get a new one. I really don't want to do that. Figured it would take me about 3 hours to go back and forth to the store, uninstall and reinstall.

I asked if they could ship me the part. They said yes. Unfortunately, my name wasn't in their computer yet because I had just bought it yesterday. It take 2 or 3 days for that to happen. They said I could call back and have them ship the part. Saves me a lot of hassles.

Reply to
Charlie S.