Replacing boards on a semi-transparent stained deck

I've read lots and threads in this forum and on others where people say to stay away from solid color stains for a deck (at least on the walking surfaces). I'm in a situation where it seems like a solid color stain is the only option I have, so I wanted to ask how you all go about replacing a couple of bad boards on a deck that has been stained semi-transparent.
When I bought the house, the prior owners had hastily applied a semi-transparent stain in a very splotchy fashion (not to mention the fact that it's oversprayed all over the siding...). Coupled that with the fact that builders used some ballusters that were so warped and splintered that I wouldn't even make stakes out of them, and I have a problem.
I've replaced the bad boards. Now, do I need to replace the rest as well? I figure I either have to cover the old stain or remove it. I don't see how I could match it.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Korey