Replacing bi-fold doors with conventional doors

the three closets in my basement had bi-fold doors; they were removed after flooding and a tile floor installed. I would like to replace them with regular double doors that swing out into the room. What measurements do I need to take to determine what size doors to get? Is this something that a do-it-your-selfer can do? Thanks

Reply to
mercedita

Hi, Easier maybe sliding door.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It would probably be more simple to remove the existing doors, trim, and jambs. This will show you a rough opening. This information should give the data you need for a new jamb and doors. Make sure to measure width and height.

The problem will come if you cannot get a prehung door and jamb to fit your rough opening. It is possible to resize the rough opening. It certainly is possible to hang doors as a DIY project, but it will require a greater amount of skill and tools than dealing with prehungs. If you decide to proceed hanging them on your own in the existing jamb, get information on hinge mortising, doorstop, door cutting, hardware and latch choices, etc. ___________________________ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

Reply to
DanG

One problem wit prehung doors as closet doors is the thickness of the frame. I still do it, but I take them apart and run the frames through the table saw to get a thickness I can live with, which is just a little bigger than the hinges.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

I'd ask first whether this was a single bi-fold or double. Also, look/evaluate carefully the floor space these are going to require to make absolutely sure it's going to be a convenience and not a hindrance. As someone else noted, you might consider the sliding door option rather than a swinging door if there's any doubt whatsoever.

That said, the measurements you need are the rough opening height and width. You need to take these in true plumb and horizontal at both ends of the opening in order to make sure the framing is square and plumb enough to allow a standard door size to be used.

You can find prehung doors in both single and double door configurations and those are certainly within the capabilities of a reasonably competent diy'er. If need a custom-sized opening, that's certainly somewhat more involved but doable for the skilled diy'er.

HTH...

Reply to
dpb

You working on trailers on do they build closets different in Texas?

:)

Reply to
Colbyt

Perhaps they do. but when they are planning on bi fold doors they often put the 2x4s sideways rather than like a conventional stud wall. It makes a nice closet, bigger than it would be with conventional stud walls or the room is bigger with the same size closet, and no real downside, as a closet is practically never a load bearing wall. That leaves a wall roughly 2 3/4" thick. A pre-hung interior door is usually

4 3/4" thick, leaving over 2" dangling inside the closet making it a reach around situation.
Reply to
Eric in North TX

Yeah they do. Building inspection would never approve that here.

I would think that would be more trouble than it is worth for the reasons you have already mentioned.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt