Replacing bathroom faucet question?

I am replacing my bathroom faucets. I've done this before, but this time I can't seem to budge the nuts on the bottom of the old faucet handles. There's barely enough room to get any of my wrenches on there, but when I do I can't seem to get them turning. Is there any tool that I can use that would make this job easier or am I going to have to take the counter top off in order to get this done? Thanks.
Joe
can you slip a hacksaw blade under the base of faucet and sivk to cuit it?

Is it a plastic nut or metal. Assume metal?
Tried a basin wrench?
On 8/16/2008 5:31 PM Red Green spake thus:

That's the tool to use. If you buy one, get a good one, not a cheap one.
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I
Joe B. wrote:

If the nuts are old, corroded zinc ones, even the basin wrench may not budge them.
In that case, chuck a long drill bit in the drill and drill a couple of holes in the edge of the nut. Don't worry about damaging the faucet threads.
When the drill has weakened the nut enough, the nut can be split or pried apart.
Jim

Either that or a dremmel never leaves my case good for toilet bolts too .
Joe B. wrote:

You can cut the faucet connectors off with a Dremmel cutoff wheel. Replace the lines, shut off valves along with the faucet.
--
Claude Hopper ? 3 :) 7/8

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go to Home Depot to see if I can find a basin wrench. If that doesn't work, I'll move on to the dremmel.
Joe

On 8/16/2008 7:53 PM Joe B. spake thus:

You might want to look for a Dremel instead.
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I

Perhaps someone more powerful like a grinder. You have to destroy the faucet from the top down. A Dremel would like a bit of time just to remove a "frozen" nut.
A good basin wrench is needed to put in the new faucet anyway so ... .