Replacing A Water Heater

Page 1 of 2
I'm replacing my aging (34 year old) AO Smith 52-gal electric water heater. I looked at the GE brand at Home Depot. But since my water heater failed last night, I called a plumber, and he's installing a 50-gal Bradford White today ($360.00 + $250 installation) Is this a pretty decent brand of water heater?
It has a 6-year warranty. They want another $170 to extend the waranty to 12 years. Any thoughts?
Thanks! Scott
Scott wrote:

As someone else said, they're mostly pretty similar these days, only a few different companies actually make the things.
Extended warranties are a scam, skip it.
Scott wrote:

34 YEARS!!!!
That sounds like a world record for a water heater tank.
Can anyone here top that?
The price for the heater is right in line with what the big box stores charge for 50 gallon electric water heaters.
If the installation price includes delivery and removal/disposal of the old heater I'd say the price isn't too bad if you live in a high rent part of the country.
Too bad you can't just handle the installation yourself with a buddy or BIL, it's really not that big a project.
Re the extended warranty, I never go for them, there always seems to be a "catch" if you have to use them.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Jeff,
Yeah, I guess it could be a world's record. I don't even want to know what the tank looks like on the inside. The good news is that it never leaked.
The plumber just installed a Bradford White 50-gal electric, and it works great! And tt should be a lot more energy efficient.
The price is right, too. And, yes, it included delivery and the disposal of the old heater.
I'll skip the extended warranty.
Thanks again! Scott

I bet it's 98% solid with just a 1" path somewhere inside.

Depends on what the water is like. I checked out my unit when it was 13 years old, there was a little bit of crud sitting in the bottom but hardly significant, less than a handful. Not much in the way of minerals in my water.

I bought an old house and replaced the WH several lyears later. Have no clue as to the age of the tank but it was a bunch. I cut it up for a stock water tank. Only a bit of red sludge in it.
Harry K
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Jeff,
Actually, the labor was only $175.00, so the total came to $545.00. That seems very reasonable. And, their plumber did a quality job installing it.
Scott

1974 to 2008, Replaced it because over the years it had filled with gunk from the well. I washed it out a couple of months ago and put it in my shop and it still works. Now I have a hot shower in my shop so I can clean up before I come in. Wife is very happy.
JImmie
On 12/11/08 03:53 pm Scott wrote:

Is that $170 for an extended warranty on the same unit, or for an upgraded unit with, say two anodes instead of one, better insulation, and a "smarter" control system?
With most of the brands I've compared, the 9-yr and 12-yr ones have better features, not just a longer warranty.
Perce

Is that a typo?! You sure you weren't like in the hospital once and to avoid worrying you because it went out someone had it replaced?
Red Green wrote:

Red Green,
Honest! We live in Central Minnesota. We moved into this house in 1977. The builder built the house in 1974 as his personal home. This is the water heater that came with the house. We haven't touched it. Never even drained the sediment from the bottom. It just kept going and going...until last night when the thermostat stuck on, and the relief valve opened up.
And that's the whole story. Wow, this must be a world record :)
Scott

Do you have a water softener? I've heard those will lengthen the life of a water heater.
Olddog
On 12/11/08 08:58 pm olddog wrote:

I've just been informed by the guys at www.waterheaterrescue.com that the water softener we installed about three years ago has probably *reduced* the life of our water heater.
Perce

Did they say why? Logic (maybe flawed) says that the reduction in sediment would extend the life. Could it be because of the trace amount of NaCl left in the water?
I was told that the water softener eliminates the need to drain the water heater too. Did they say anything about that?
BTW: I don't remember who told me this. Maybe I dreamed it.
Thanks
Olddog
On 12/12/08 01:03 pm olddog wrote:

They say it's because soft water is more acidic, but I think they are confused: AAUI, *naturally* soft water is often somewhat acidic, but I can't see why softening water will change its pH to any significant amount, if at all.

Heating hard water may well cause the dissolved material to precipitate out and cake in the bottom of the tank. This reduces the efficiency and may cause hot spots that eventually cause the tank to fail prematurely.
Perce
olddog wrote:

Olddog,
Yes, we have a water softener, because the water from our well contains organic iron.
Scott

Wouldn't that make it hard water?
Olddog

Yup - that's why he needs the water softener. (and could likely use an iron filter too)
Scott wrote:

You big dummy!
You replaced a perfectly good water heater because a five-dollar part blew?