replacing a thermost without ability to turn off electricity

from you ? its all strange!!!

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

4news:gomdne1jF4PyXGfbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com...4> keep on trollin !!!!!!! maybe you'll catch a bigger fish ,2>0> "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:0>>"The Freon Cowboy" wrote in messageo>psWhen your writing style is strange, you must expect questions.
Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

No more being tactful. You write like a 1st grader. When someone questions what the hell you're trying to say, you have one valid option: Answer politely.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

you really dont have a clue , do you ? you didnt understand my first post ,so you attack my grammar

f*ck you !!!!

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

When you grammar is atrocious, you have to accept it and understand that people will ask for clarification. Or, they may ignore you.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

According to Edwin Pawlowski :

Ah yeah, but, the other wire connecting to the T-stat is 120V the other direction...

Hint: if you remove the thermostat on a 240V heater without killing the breaker, there's 240V between the two wires that _used_ to connect to the T-stat.[+]

You get your choice - touch a ground and either lead, you get a 120V shock. Touch both leads and you get a 240V shock.

[+] Or indeed any switch in a 240V circuit.
Reply to
Chris Lewis

According to mm :

Many of those are battery-powered devices that fit _over_ the T-stat and mechanically move the knob with a small motor. Particularly common for round-type T-stats.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Back in the halycyon days of my yoot I jury rigged "nite setback" on my apartment's heating system thermostat by using one of those little plug-in 24 hour timers, an extension cord and a 6 watt incandescent night light.

I hung the night light on the wall below the thermostat and adjusted the distance between them so that when the bulb lit during sleeping hours it tricked the thermostat into dropping the room temperature about 10 degrees. (Same as making the mistake of putting one of the big old vacuum tube TVs against a wall under the thermostat.)

It wasn't an original idea BTW, there may even have been some commercially available gadgets back then which did the same thing. And, in the September 2005 issue of "MAKE" magazine a similar suggestion was made, but eliminated the timer I used by a photocell controlled night light, so a setback occurred when the room got dark. Described thusly:

"Make a Thermostat Fooler to update your old home thermostat rather than buying a programmable one for over $100. Spend $3 for an incandescent night light and hang it on a string under your thermostat. At night, heat from the light makes the thermostat think the house is warmer than it really is. When daylight comes the light goes off and the temperature controller goes back to normal operation."

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

THEY don't but I do. It requires relays.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Actually, THEY do. For example:

M Q

If he screws it down to the wrong screw, maybe he'll burn out the transmformer, but I was referring to accidentally touching two wires together for a second. Check my post.

BTW, when you snip everything the previous poster wrote, no one can tell if your comment makes sense or not. Leave the part that you're objecting to, and you'll have a much better chance of convincing someone.

Reply to
mm

Smoke AND mirrors, the mirrors keep the smoke inside - let it out and they don't work anymore plus you've bought yourself seven years bad luck.

Reply to
DennisTheBald