Replacing a table lamp socket

I have an old table lamp which *used* to exhibit the following properties when the key was turned:
1. First clockwise click: the base would light up.
2. Second clockwise click: the standard bulb would light up, and the base would turn off.
3. Third clockwise click: both base and standard bulb would light.
4. Fourth clockwise click: all lamps would turn off.
However, the socket no longer works, and I'm looking to replace it. After dismantling, it appears that the socket has three wires leading into it, and it has 250V, 250W printed on the side.
My question: is a replacement socket hard to find, and is there a standard description of it which would help me locate it on the 'net?
ADthanksVANCE,
Dan
Frankly, I would take the socket itself to Home Depot, Lowe's, or an Ace Hardware (or similar hardware store) tell them how it operates the lamp lights, and ask them for a replacement.
It should be easy to find.
Hope this helps !! Please let us know.
--James--