Replacing a section of drywall

I am removing a section of drywall and replacing it with some rockboard (durock, hardibacker, etc.)
Can I just cut the existing drywall flush with the existing stud, then add a second "stud" by attatching it to the existing stud (with fasteners), and then attaching the rockboard to that new "stud"?
Here's a picture of what I tried to explain:
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1923/drywall.jpg
Seems like it would be a lot easier than trying to cut the existing drywall down the middle of the stud.
Whad'ya think?
Jon

Sure.
RicodJour wrote:

Yep, and here is a free hint- attach your scab studs and blocking with screws, not nails. All that banging with nails tends to make the nails pop in the undisturbed part of the drywall. If the existing studs are old doug fir or yellow pine, you may need to drill pilot holes- that stuff gets surprisingly hard after 20 years in the wall. I did a patch like that here, and the 16d nails bent as they went from the block into the old studs. Drilling the joists for wiring smoked the old cheap drill.
-- aem sends...
"aemeijers" wrote:

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice. I'll scab up a place to connect the rockboard using some of my long drywall screws.
Jon

YES. But it really doesn't need to be a stud. A 2x2 or 1x2 securely attached to the stud will serve the purpose just as well. It is called a "scab".

A single screw with construction adhesive should be easiest on the adjacent drywall.
Joe
"Joe" wrote:

Ah, thanks Joe, I'll squirt some liquid nails on it before screwing it on.
Jon
That's a nice way of presenting a drawing. What software program did you use?
Thanks
--
Walter
www.rationality.net