Replacing a light switch

I am trying to replace a light switch and have removed the old switch and am having troubles deciding where the 4 wires go on the back of the new switch.I have 2 red & 2 black The back of the switch has 4 holes. One at the top has a plastic cross over it & I suppose that means I don't use it To the right it says common to the left it says loop & the last on on the bottom in the middle is unmarked. The existing wires seem to want to go as follows; 2 black are together & want to be on the left (loop) I think. I guess the 2 reds are the switch wires.Am I correct in thinking 1 goes to common & the other to the unmarked bottom
Thanks Brian
Brian wrote:

Is this a 4-way light switch? (that is, is it one of more than two switches that control the same light?) I'm guessing yes, from your description. It also sounds like you've purchased a 3-way as a replacement; that won't work.
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Thanks for the responses to my query. It is only a single switch (only runs 1 light. The switch I purchased is a common architrave type switch by Clipsal
Brian wrote:

You have too many wires for a normal single light switch and the wire colors are odd.
Note: this is in Australia ....
On 14 Jan 2007 18:20:49 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I think so too.

Now I get it. It would have helped to have known that! I don't normally display headers in usenet.

You didn't need to -- his email address is @yahoo.com.au
--
Regards,
Brian wrote:

If you didn't keep notes, you are unqualified to do the work and should hire an electrician.
And no, that's not harsh.
CJT wrote:

Thanks I did actually note their original location but they came apart in the transfer. It can't be that complicated active & neutral in active & neutral out through a switch keep the 2 neutral together & the 2 reds thru the switch to break the circuit.I'll go with that. It was only the back of the new switch that stumped me.I'll work it out . I just went & bought another archetrave switch to check to poles on the back & yes they have 4 places for the wires

Then your notes were inadequate. They should have included the individual wires and which were together.
But since you've thanked every one youre problably not reading anymore.

Brian wrote:

Where do you live and is this a 240V system?
nate
(just got a thought...)
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Were the 2 reds or maybe the 2 blacks connected to the same screw when before you took out the old switch? Make a sketch of the old switch wiring right now, when you still might remember what it looked like.
Ignore my first question and make the sketch like you remember it.

mm wrote:

common 1 red to other on bottom & surprise surprise it works.I just got a bit scared & confused when they came apart.It was only a matter of working my way thru it .the extra hole confused the issue. Thanks for your time. Alls well that ends well
http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/homewiringusa/2002/pictures/index.htm