Replacing a Kenmore dryer motor - Any idea what I am in for?

I am replacing the motor in my dryer and I'm not sure where to start. Anyone out there that can lend a hand?
Thanks!!
msparrer wrote:

Unplug it?

Where are you?
Can't imagine it could be anything more than taking the old one out and putting in a new one.
I'm in Virginia and I'm thinking that there is probably a little more to it than unplugging it :-)
check out
http://www.repairclinic.com /
hvave your model number & serial number available
I have found this website to be very useful for parts & info, I've bought dozens of aplliance parts, they all have been the correct part, came in a few days. They a very efffective "part finder" system if you don't have the exact P/N.
I've been a DIY for over 40 years (replaced my first dryer heater element when I was 11)
If you are at all mechanically inclined & have a reasonable set of tools, a DIY dryer motor will be a snap. If the dryer location is "close quarters" that will be the most trouble.
Dryers are pretty simple beasts.
last dryer repair I did, I got a generalized repair manual just as "insurance" ~$15
here's an example p/n 753981 Dryer repair manual for Whirlpool - Sears - Kenmore - Kitchen Aid - Roper - Estate large capacity dryers. Gas or electric. Revision H (copyright 1998)
cheers Bob
msparrer wrote:

You asked what to do _first_ :)

From you question, it sounds like you are a newbie appliance repair guy.
So--- are you *sure* the motor is bad and needs to be replaced and the problem isn't something else?
Pat
Hey bob, Duane and Pat.... Fairly new to the appliance repair ballgame yes - Unplugging it is certainly good advice - sorry was a little punchy with only one cup of coffee this morning. I am 95% sure it is the motor. Symptoms are this: Dryer runs and heats then cuts off in mid cycle. Depends on how big the load as to how quick or not so quick it cuts off. Once it cuts off, it will not come back on for usually a while. The bigger the load - the quicker the cutoff. My little theory was that the motor is going bad, heating up and the thermal switch was opening and cutting the motor off. After the motor has had a chance to cool - it comes back on. Also as a side feature, last night there was an odd grinding noise when I turned it on. Again - guessing the motor is going going gone. Sound like I am in the ball park?
As for the model number etc. - It is a Kenmore model 110.96593230. I have purchased the motor from Sears Parts and intend to swap it out this evening.
Sound like I am close?
Also, thanks for tips!!
Hi,
Does sound like the motor is going sour.
This can help with accessing the motor.... http://www.applianceaid.com/whirlpool-dryers.html#four

My first thought, as well. Before spending $ on a new motor, I'd field-strip the TOP of the sucker, and clean out all the lint. The internal lint air path is often leaky, and full of snags. Managed to bring a dead dryer back to life that way once- the Whole Damn Cabinet was packed with lint, such that the air had noplace to go, and the thing overheated in minutes. Once all that was removed, it worked fine.
aem sends...