Replacing a few bricks at top of chimney

Yesterday I had a contractor come out to give me a bid on fixing my fireplace and brick chimney. He said he couldn't really tell until I had the soot cleaned out. He said as far as fixing the chimney, a lot depends on whether it's "cracked." I asked how you can tell and he asked me if the chimney feels solid when you try to shake it from the roof, or if it wobbles. I asked him if he wanted to accompany me up there and see and he said he'd forgotten to wear his shoes. He had sandals on.

Later, after he left, I was on the roof to check on some other things and I thought I'd check out the chimney and tried to see if it was solid or wobbly, like he said. In doing so, I evidently loosened one side of the top 3 layers of bricks. Maybe he was smart to not be wearing his shoes! Can I repair these by removing the bricks, cleaning them and resetting them with some brick mortar? I'm not ready to have the whole chimney done now because the house needs a foundation job, but if an earthquake hit now, the bricks would damage my roof and would then be apt to fall on my car. Thanks for the help.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

Premixed dry brick repair mortar can be used for this kind of temporary repair. Since over time, top courses are likely to suffer weakened or dissolved mortar joints due to water influx and freeze/thaw cycles, you might consider fitting a galvanized steel cap once the brick is repointed, so water will be directed away from the top chimney bricks in the future.

Reply to
Roger Taylor