Replacing a faucet on a pedestal sink

I have purchased a new faucet and plan to install it on a pedestal sink. There is about 3 - 3 1/2 inches clearance from the pedestal base to the back of the wall. Upon visual inspection, I appear to have enough room to replace the faucet and supply lines. What concerns me is trying to replace the pop-up stopper which rests inside the pedestal - I can't see the connection to the waste line. Is there a trick to replacing the pop-up stopper in a pedestal sink? I have replaced pop-up stoppers before, but I doubt I can replace it without seeing what I am doing! I know my limitations and am willing to call in a pro to replace the entire setup if attempting this will just cause me aggravation. Just wondering, what would be a typical rate for a pro to replace a bathroom faucet on a pedestal sink?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Brendan
Brendan wrote:

The basin has to come off the pedestal to replace the pop-up drain. That will make it *much* easier to replace the faucet too.
Jim

Jim,
Thanks for the tip. Never removed a basin from a pedestal before. I guess I'll take a look to determine if the aggravation factor will be high or not!
Thanks,
Brendan

a lot of times the pedestal just comes off and the basin is left screwed to the wall. if it was installed correctly and you don't lean on the basin, you can leave it installed.
regards, charlie cave creek, az
Charlie,
Thanks for the tip. I had assumed the basin needed to be removed. Removing the pedestal would make things a lot easier. I guess I'll find out quickly if it was not installed correctly!! I guess some support 2x4s underneath will help support the basin while the work is done.
thanks again,
Brendan