replacing a doorbell

Our doorbell (a Nutone LA-128WH) needs replacing. We want to replace it with a different model. It seems to be mounted with two screws 6.5 inches apart vertically. To make it easier on me, are there other models (not necessarily Nutone) that mount the same way?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Yes. I'll be surprised if anyone in this newsgroup can tell you which ones have the same screw arrangement, unless by some stroke of luck equivalent to winning Powerball, someone just happens to have such a doorbell.
Go to Nutone's web site and download some of their installation guides.

These days there just aren't many hard wired doorbell manufacturers. Many Nutone models use the same chime mechanism, with different covers, so any similar model should use the same screw holes.

I want a hard-wired one because the house already has the wires.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Did you find the information you needed on Nutone's web site? It's definitely there.
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 23:19:02 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"

I looked at their website but I haven't gotten into the details of the mounting arrangement. This model isn't made anymore, but I found some new ones on eBay, cheap. But my wife doesn't want another one like it.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

You don't need info on YOUR model. You said you wanted a NEW one with the same screw spacing. Every product I've checked at the Nutone web site has installation instructions available for download on the SAME PAGE as each model. Same for their fans.
Sheesh....
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 07:41:57 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Sorry, I think there was a misunderstanding. What I was saying is that I would be happy with a direct replacement, which I can get on eBay. That would be the easiest for me to replace and also pretty cheap. My wife doesn't want to do that, though. She wants a different model, which may not even be a Nutone. When I first posted the question I didn't know that she definitely did not want the same kind.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

It doesn't matter what kind you get or where you buy it. It's unlikely anyone on usenet will be able to tell you about the screw spacing of a new unit unless they own it.
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:07:20 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"

At least all I've checked are on 16 VAC.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Uh oh. ADHD problem.
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 16:24:55 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"

No, someone suggested that I should make sure the voltage matches the transformer I have. The standard seems to be 16 VAC.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Jan Philips wrote:

That is the most common by far, and NuTone standard for many decades. But I have seen anywhere from 12 to 24 volts. Odds are you are fine, but that is one of those simple-to-check things you feel awful stupid about if it doesn't match.
--
aem sends...

I'm not suggesting to get a battery operated chime, only that in hard wired units, your choices are really limited
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 21:58:39 -0400, Jan Philips

Don't sweat the mounting. Buy the one that you want and a box of these- (Amazon.com product link shortened)80227390&sr=1-1 [Red Head E-Z anchors]
I drive the screw first. if it hits a stud, fine-- if not, I drive an E-Z anchor. [they break if you hit a stud]
Buy the big box- you'll be glad you have some for next time.
Jim