Replacing a door knob

Page 1 of 2
The front door has quit locking. For a few days, when you tried to lock the door, twisting the lock would catch half way. You could steady the door knob and it would lock. Well now it doesn't do anything. It will turn but the door never locks.
I went to Home depot to get a replacement knob and all of the knobs had life time warranties. It then occurred to me that maybe the current knob was also a life time warranty.
I came home to discover the knob may be made by Harloc. Googling it doesn't really come up with any warranty info or any way to contact Harloc. The guy at Home Depot said the company may no longer be in business.
I assumed since most of the building materials were high quality that the door knob was too. I took pictures of the knob. It doesn't really look like high quality at all.
I also googled how to repair a door lock, but didn't find any showing how to get to the lock itself.
http://imgur.com/a/uWG2F
On Monday, January 20, 2014 4:33:29 PM UTC-6, Metspitzer wrote:

WD40
On 1/20/2014 5:33 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

Having been in the locksmith trade for 20+ years, I find Harloc to be the worst junk made. Worse even than some of the Taiwan junkers. I'd replace that one today, if not sooner. As to what's a good brand, my house has Kwikset (NOT THE SMART KEY) and also my parents house. The knob locks wear out in ten year or so, but that's good service.
I've not seen a Harloc in a lot of years, and I rather like it that way.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/20/2014 5:33 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

Some Harloc are installed in non standard door prep. Might have to enlarge the edge hole, and the cross bore might not be standard 2 1/8 inch.
Might have to depress the retainer I see in photo 3 to get the inner knob off. Then pry off the trim and remove the phillips screws.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 01/20/2014 04:33 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

Even if it's under warranty you'd have to send it back and go without a door knob. Since a new one is not terribly expensive, just get a new one and don't worry about it.
Here is how I found out my front door no longer locked:
A drunken college student was found on my couch one morning.
When we woke him he was waaay more scared than us.
As he ran out the door he said: "Sorry, I thought I was in my friend's house."
On 1/20/2014 7:05 PM, philo wrote:

Well, that's a first. I'd never heard that one. Add that to my list of anecdotes and experiences.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 01/20/2014 06:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

That's what I get for living near a university.
I originally bought this house when I was working and going to night school. That was 35 years ago and the property value has skyrocketed so I'm staying put.
If I did not already own the house there is no way I could afford to live in this area.
BTW: I did not buy a new lock...I just found an old one in the basement.
On 1/20/2014 7:33 PM, philo wrote:

What are the odds, the lock that failed was Harloc brand?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 01/20/2014 07:30 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

It was not a Harloc as far as I recall...but I am sure it was not an expensive one.

A similar thing happened in my daughter's dorm room. She was living in a suite with 4 bedrooms and a living room area. She awoke one Saturday morning to find an unknown girl sleeping on the couch. She ignored her, assuming it was a friend of one of her roommates. As each roommate woke up, they all let her be, each thinking it was a friend of another. Eventually they started asking each other and that's when they realized that no one knew her.
When they woke her up she admitted that she was really drunk the night before and didn't really remember how she ended up on the couch. As she was leaving, they all suggested she get some help.
On 01/20/2014 06:29 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm from Milwaukee and if a problem drinker asks for help, it's just assumed they need money for another drink.
On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 00:29:55 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Maybe I should forget about fixing the lock for a while and see if this happens to me.

On Monday, January 20, 2014 5:33:29 PM UTC-5, Metspitzer wrote:

just replace it, Schlage is a decent consumer grade lockset, and inexpensiv e enough that it's not worth trying to repair what you have. If you are co ncerned about security go to a real locksmith shop and see what they recomm end. Likely you will be told that any key in knob setup like what you have is relatively insecure and that you should consider adding a deadbolt. Me deco/Assa Abloy is a step up from most of the stuff you will find at the bi g boxes, but you'll pay for it.
good luck
nate
On 1/20/2014 7:23 PM, N8N wrote:

Schlage changed their design a couple years ago. I don't much like the new ones.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I haven't seen the new Schlages, but my Schlage front door lock looks like and is in the same condition as the OP's and it works as well as it did when first installed in 1984.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Are you sure you actually remember how it performed 30 years ago? A gradual degradation of performance over a 30 year period might not be noticed by the user unless a side by side comparison of new vs. 30 years old could be done.
I feel like I perform just as well as I did 30 years ago, but there's a good chance my wife might have a different opinion. Of course, I don't plan on having her do any comparisons to find out. ;-)
On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 22:45:55 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

My Kwikset front door locks were working just as well when they were 29 years old as when I bought the house and they were 4 years old.
Unfortunately the hospital lost my keyring, and to get into the house, a friend drilled one of the locks out and replaced both the slamlock and the deadbolt.

There's a lot more to go wrong with you or me than with a lock.
On Monday, January 20, 2014 8:45:05 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

nsive enough that it's not worth trying to repair what you have. If you ar e concerned about security go to a real locksmith shop and see what they re commend. Likely you will be told that any key in knob setup like what you have is relatively insecure and that you should consider adding a deadbolt. Medeco/Assa Abloy is a step up from most of the stuff you will find at th e big boxes, but you'll pay for it.

I was happy with the ones that I bought maybe 2009ish... what's happened s ince then?
nate
On 1/22/2014 7:30 AM, N8N wrote:

They went to a one piece molded exterior door knob. The cylinder has a compressable spring cover, which is easy to come off, but impossible to put back on. The spring cover will probably fall off, within the lock. I know I've had one come off, while I was trying to rekey the lock. The top pins are too short. The locks aren't designed to be master keyed.
--
.
Christopher A. Young