Replacing a basketball hoop mounting post

Hello, I was a moron and backed into my friend's basketball hoop. My car was fine but I knocked over his hoop. It was yanked out of the concrete and the mounting post (the post that the taller pole sits on) was bent pretty badly. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could buy a replacement mounting post.

Is the mounting post round? Steel? Wood 4 x 4? PVC? Lets assume it was a piece of pipe, say, 3" diameter. Maybe a yard long. Best source, call a well drilling company and butya section of pipe that they have cut off. Other sources, a scrap recyling yard. Last resort, a mill or steel supply warehouse. HTH
Joe

Take a look on Craigslist.org in your area.....you can probably get a similar set for not a lot of $'s & just use the piece you need & trash the rest.
cheers Bob