Replacing a 36" door with a Stanley Door - Can this be done?

Hi all,
I have a steel Benchmark Door that I just installed. I thought it was a nice door. However, painting it blows. I used Behr Exterior Latex paint on it and it just peels like a bastard. The door is defective and the primer used on this door doesn't take in the paint. I painted a Stanley door with the same paint and it's just awsome. Here's my question. Would I be able to get only a Stanley Steel 36" door and hang it on the existing hinges from the Benchmark Door? Will they line up?
John

Sounds like you didnt properly prep the door first. Steel doors should be cleaned with solvent or a detergent, dried completely, then lightly sanded all over, and wiped dust free.. Then a coat of exterior primer, such as bullseye or Kilz rated for exterior. Once that is done, an exterior enamel, of whatever texture or gloss you choose, should be applied. I would use alkyd over acrylic/latex based, on metal. Regular exterior house paint does best on porous surfaces, such as wood, or over extremly well- prepped primered surface..

Changing a door every few years just because paint is peeling could get expensive . But we all have our own ways of doing things.
Perhaps just sanding down the present door might be cheaper ?
AMUN

Your poor preparation is the door's fault? Strip off the paint you applied, sand, clean with paint thinner, then use the proper paint, something for metal. Greg
grus snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Doubtful but they t might. Measure and see.