Replacemment Refrigerator

We have a 20+ year old "built in" Sub Zero (we bought the house with tha refrigerator in place) which we would like to replace.

Are there any recommendations, as to a Reliable replacement brand, that we should use?

-dave

PS I am not sure of the trade name, for refrigerators whom are fully enclosed, once installed ?

Reply to
Dave C

Searching for a 'counter-depth refrigerator' would probably be a good starting point although I'd guess that some cabinet work might be required to accomplish a clean install no matter what you buy. What size opening does your present unit fit into?

Reply to
BenignBodger

While I need to maintain the Built In feature (no room for a stand free appliance), I could easily move the lateral or vertical dimension by a few inches. I assume that most manufacturers have a profile to match Sub Zero?

I am MOST cncerned about brand reliability, for a recommendation.

Reply to
Dave C

There is this:

I'm not sure what exactly qualifies as built-in. Previous poster mentioned counter-depth. That's what I have and it's kind of built-in, but there are also fridges where you can put panels from the kitchen cabinets so that it matches. I'm not a fan of that. I'd rather see a SS fridge. I got a Kitchenaid counterdepth about 4 years ago. I'm very happy with it. I especially like the crushed ice dispenser through the door. Not sure, can you do that with the true built-in that takes the kitchen cabinet panels? The bad news is that recently the ice crusher died. Good news is that it's easy to replace and I found the motor online and it's ~80, which isn't too bad. Otherwise I love it. It uses less than half the energy the 25 year old one used.

I'd figure out the dimensions you have to work with, then start looking online for which ones will work. You might also find a deal on Ebay, especially if you're in no hurry. I used Ebay to get a DW at less than half of what it otherwise would have cost. And I got a KA double oven for $1200 that would have cost $3000. It was floor model, but unused, in perfect condition. I usually don't take out extended warranties, but in that case I paid like $75 for a SquareTrade 3 year warranty, partly because I wasn't sure if the manufacturer warranty would be honored. It's been in about 3 years now and it's working perfectly.

Reply to
trader_4