Replacement Windows vs. Repairs

I have an older house with a mix of wood double hung and casement windows. A few are pretty sound, but most have problems such as a cracked pane or broken sash cords. Most have sliding storms installed on the outside, although some are missing a glass pane or screen.

No single window appears to have a problem that I couldn't take care of myself, but the amount of time to fix, scrape, repaint, etc. all 30+ windows is more than I want to spend.

How can I figure out whether it makes sense to bring the existing windows into a state of good repair or just bite the bullet and go with replacement windows?

I'm guessing that the cost of materials will be a lot lower if I get the windows fixed instead of replaced, but the labor will be higher. I'm just trying to get a ballpark sense so I can figure out if it's even worthe going through the process of getting contractors in to give an estimate for fixing the windows.

Reply to
Wassa Matter

Get bids on repair. New windows will save you on utilities winter and summer

Reply to
m Ransley

I agree that you should get bids. However I suspect you may want to reconsider after you get the bids. Make sure the bids are for really good windows, not something that looks pretty and the salesman assures you is top rate.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan