Replacement Windows

Page 2 of 2
my vinyl windows are 12 or 13 years old, I have replaced 3 sealed units 2 of which take heavy abuse of 4 dogs jumping against. spent about 100 bucks on the sealed units, the manufacturer reynolds got out of window business and the local dealer wouldnt return my calls. lifetime warrantys dont necessarily last forever.
my windows havent had any troubles other than a couple minor adjkustments, they have metal interior reinforcements.

Not sure, but I had woodgrain interior treatment to my vinyl windows, and trimmed it with red oak, stained with... oh, some standard minwax stain color. Unless you got your eyeball right up to the window and felt it, you'd never know the interior wasn't wood.
I personally like white as a trim color on the outside to provide contrast to the house's siding or brick color and didn't investigate different outdoor finish colors, but indoor wise, the wood grains on the "oak" finished Alside vinyl windows looked very nice.
-- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /
"Caledonia" wrote in message

Never heard of them. You've pointed out the exact reason, to stick with a well known brand.

When you deal with a reputable window manufacture, you can get windows configured just about anyway you can dream up. The mutins are between the panes. You can order vinyl in shades of brown, green, white, with the interior done in different shades of laminate.
As far as a paintable vinyl, paint manufacturers such as S/W & B/M, both produce paint with properties which will adhere to just about any surface imaginable, with proper prep and primer. Which is the same way you would paint wood windows.
Out of curiosity, who makes wood windows clad in 'historic' dark colors?
You seem to be heading way off topic, towards historic restoration, of which I didn't get a hint of, until now.

Marvin.
http://www.marvin.com/default.aspx?page=Ultimate_Double_Hung.exterior
Banty

Banty wrote:

Oh, geez, I wish I hadn't seen that.
Time to run the ROI calcs again...
Caledonia
Moiss Nacio wrote:

I don't know of any wood windows that arrive pre-painted in dark colors. But hey, isn't that the hassle/benefit factor of wood windows which we were discussing?
I'm not so much into historic restoration (although I am embittered to be living in a house built within the last 50 years) -- but interested in 'fitting in' to the neighborhood look, as everything here is old or pretending to look that way. (We are, alas, in the second category...)
Caledonia
"Caledonia" wrote

I was being sarcastic to your remark of "Out of curiosity, who makes vinyl windows clad in 'historic' dark colors for the exterior, with paintable interiors?"
Myself, I don't care for painted trim work, or windows. That's what makes the world go around, everyone is different, and everyone decorates their own home, to their own taste. As I said in my original reply about taste & budget.
On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:31:27 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (D. Gerasimatos) wrote:

Same as on my house, built in 1930, and we have *NO* (zero, none, nada) intention of replacing any of these windows as the ROI is ridiculous.

I just finished replacing my 13 windows with Jeld-wen low-e argon for approx $2500 doing the install myself. They have a lifetime warranty. http://jeld-wen.com /
Those size windows should be approx $200 each.
Home Depot sells them and installs at a decent price, probably < $100/window for that size.

That $8500 price is exhorbitant!
I assume that you are talking about vinyl frame replacement windows that drop into the original window framing and not new construction windows?
Another poster suggested Pella, Marvin or Anderson windows but they are not known for replacement windows, at least not around here.
Also, despite the statement made by another poster that vinyl windows deteriorate rapdily due to UV exposure, I've not found that to be the case. I've installed over 50 of them, some going back 20 years. So far, there's been no noticeable deterioration of the vinyl. If the vinyl did indeed deteriorate that fast, vinyl siding makers wouldn't be able to offer their warranties. The makers add UV inhibitor chemicals to protect the vinyl.
The H-D windows sold under the American Craftsman brand are actually quite decent. Their better 8500 series has low E glass, 7/8" glass spacing, Argon filled AND fusion welded frames. The price for just the windows (no installation) in your sizes runs around $175 to $200/ea.
When I've been too busy to do my own installs, I use a local supplier that installs a similar high quality low-E/Argon filled/Fusion welded double hung window for around $225/ea in minimum quantities of 5 per job site.
Doug
Slumlord par excellance!
Doug wrote:

Agreed. We had our vinyl windows replaced recently after 35 years. They looked like new, but were single pane with storm windows and many of the clips that hold the windows up were broken. A real PIA to clean. Deteriorated? No way! The new Alside windows are easier to open, close, clean, better insulation and are more secure. Paid $5000 for job including removal of old windows, hauling them away, installation and flashing, 16 windows including a large picture window in the livingroom.
Lena
The right price is about 350-450.00 per window installed. $8500.00 is robbery.
Lena wrote:

Last year the cost of a 32x70 DH vinyl here was $169.00. I am sure the cost is somewhat higher now then it was a year ago BUT;
I think I would shop a little more if I were you.
Colbyt
Carl wrote:

(snip)
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you but I have learned a LOT about windows in the past couple months as I go through the process of figuring out the best way to do my window replacement.
We had a guy from Pella come out to my house and give us a quote of basically $865 per window installed for a bunch of double-hung wood replacement windows (using the existing trim) all of custom sizes. I thought that was high, asked about it here and was told it was actually pretty reasonable for a custom wood window of Pella quality. (And they are quality windows.) And that's with Pella-spec'd and supervised installation.
I'm now in the process of also pricing Andersen and some other vinyl manufacturers, along with Marvin for wood. I'm not finding a huge difference in price and I don't really want vinyl. Andersen is about $750 per hole for vinyl in the sizes I need. I'm not sure about Marvin yet but hoping I can use their tilt-pac system and maybe save at least a little cash on wood.
The size you need makes a HUGE difference. You can get standard sized replacement windows for a couple hundred bucks and install them yourself fairly easily (depending on what kind of original windows you have). But if you've got an older home with odd sized windows (as I do) that all need to be custom-made these days, then you're going to pay a big premium. This is what I've unfortunately learned. You were quoted more than $1,000 per window - that sounds pretty high, but then you do have a couple of pretty big windows and I don't know if your other six are standard or not. You might want to look around manufacturer web sites and see if anybody offers those sizes as a standard window. Also, I can't remember if you said these are full windows or replacements.
As for the vinyl vs. wood argument - in my house we have about 20 80-year-old wood counterweight windows and 2 newer vinyl windows (kitchen and bathroom). The kitchen casement Andersen window looks ok and feels like decent quality, but the Andersen double-hung in the bathroom just looks and feels like cheap plastic. Even the kitchen window is just lacking that warm "imperfectness" of natural wood, though. It's a personal preference thing. For me, I'm not so concerned with whether a window's gonna last me 25 years or a lifetime - I'm probably going to sell my house in 7-10 years anyway. But I want something that looks good, feels nice to the touch and fits the rest of my house. That means wood for all the public areas, barring a major, major price difference between wood and vinyl. I do still plan to probably just go with cheap vinyl for the attic and basement once we get around to doing those. (I actually love our old counterweight windows, but a few of them are just completely shot to hell and there are some rooms where I've gotta match bay windows and things like that.)
Most of my neighbors have both vinyl windows and vinyl siding and they look like houses you might buy as a blue-light special at K-Mart.