Replacement window woes

I had planned to buy replacement windows for my home but have run into a snag... The existing window frames are metal, which means than installing conventional replacement windows as they were designed to be installed is not an option. Instead, I need to completely remove the metal frame. Now normally, I would replace the window with new construction window by pulling back the siding and nailing the nail fin, then replacing thesiding, however this is not possible either. I have asbestos siding, which I am not ready to replace which I do not want to mess with (I have a young child).

I have heard (read?) that you can cut the nail fin off of a new construction window and mound it as you would a replacement window. (or that you can buy new construction windows without the nail fin?) This would provide me with the framing material found in the new construction window without having to build a new frame...

Does anyone know if this will work?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Reply to
jaezif

You can cut it off or order it without. Are you thinking vinyl? There is very little difference between the NC and the replacement windows. Size is about all. There is no "extra framing material". They just add a nail flange to the window.

How are you windows finished on the outside and inside? A picture or three here might be nice. You can post for free a lot of places including my sig line.

You might be more pleased if you cut out the old, finish the opening and use a replacement window.

Reply to
Colbyt

In addition to Colbyt's suggestions, please describe the "asbestos siding". As long as the asbestos containing material is not sanded or otherwise is not made into small bits, it is safe. TB

Reply to
tbasc