Replacement window question

I am about to begin a total kitchen remodel, including a replacement window above the sink.
70s era house aluminum siding aluminum framed, dbl pane w/single horizontal slider is existing window.
I will buy a custom sized, flange-less vinyl window to reinstall.
My question is how to remove the existing window frame without mucking up the alum siding. I am down to the exposed 2x4 framing on the interior side, on the exterior, the J-channel is *tight* against the window frame. I can get down to the bare frame easily, the sliding pane lifts right out, the fixed pane comes out by removing a couple of sheet metal screws.
I could probably use my Sawzall to cut the frame out, leaving the existing flange, but that would most likely make a mess out of the J-channel.
I know this has to have been done a gazillion times, how do I do it?
David djones<at>LSidaho.com
Well, actually it's only been done a bazillion times, which as you know - is nowhere near a gazillion.
The first step is to tear off all the aluminum siding, so that you can see what somebody else was so desperately trying to hide. You have to be careful though, as it's sometimes very difficult to seperate what was rotten before the siding went up vs. what the siding caused to rot.
Now, having accomplished this, your next step is to tear out the rotten siding, which is located directly beneath the aluminum siding, which you already removed in step 1.
Which takes us to step 3. Under the rotten original siding, which you have removed (after you removed the aluminum siding, of course), you will find the rotten structural members of your house. These must now be removed. Removal is very easy, because dry rot has reduced them to compacted dust, or termites have so kindly done the work for you in advance.
You may notice that after removal of the structural members, the roof is now positioned where the walls formerly stood. This is normal for this type of installation, and you needn't worry about it.
There.
Now that you have removed 2 layers of siding, and the structural framing members of the house, you are ready to begin with installation of your new windows! (Codes in your area may require replacement of the structural members removed in step 3. Check with your local zoning comittee for specifics).
Good luck!

Tools required? Chainsaw and BFH?
DJ
It is not necessary to remove the siding in order to install
replacement window.
You can simply remove the existing sash, then carefully pry out th existing aluminum nailing fin out from under the existing sidings.
The new replacement window will be installed in the existing roug opening and sealed with caulk alone on the exterior where the windo but against the abck of the existing siding
-- manhattan4 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- manhattan42's Profile: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=4 View this thread: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/showthread.php?tt28 This post was submitted via http://www.HomeRepairForums.or