Replacement tool "handles"/cushions

Hi,
We have a number of tools (typically yard/garden) that have soft, black neoprene-like "cushioned grips" for handles. Pole saws, trimmers, etc.
These black cushions are sort of like a foam material. They don't stand up well to wear and tear. (in fact, they *tear*!)
Ideas for replacements? I'd thought of using "dip" but would need quite a bit for each tool (the foam cushions tend to be like a foot long and 1/4" thick on 1-1.5" dia structural pieces).
The other thought that came to mind was "bicycle handlebar wrap" (typically a sort of soft, cushioned, rubbery plastic "tape" about an inch wide that was spiral wrapped along the length of the handlebars). But, the stores that I've checked thus far don't seem to sell this anymore (I'll try a "bike shop", next).
As it *resembles* the original foamy rubber handles, I'd also considered rubber "pipe insulation" -- the stuff that is sold in 6-8 ft lengths, "split" down one side. But, this seems like it would be too thick (1/2" typically) and I'm not sure how well the seam would hold up to the sort of mechanical abuse that these tools encounter.
(The existing cushion seem to be either slip-on or "dipped" in some way -- no visible seems, they just tear at arbitrary places!)
You could use anything that has the right amount of cushioning and then use black electrical tape wrapped over the material to give the strength you are looking for. Overlap the tape about 60 -70 percent.
I do this with my bicycle handlebars, and the tape lasts for several years and a few thousand miles of biking between redoing.
On 9/20/2015 12:24 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

I tried that with some foam rubber and 20mil "pipe wrap". It felt pretty hokey.

I think you hold onto a bicycle's handlebars differently than a large "branch lopper", pole saw, etc. The "tape" I recall (from youth) was sort of like a spongey plastic/rubber -- typically different colors ("kids"). It seems like it would stay in place, better -- nothing *under* it (to be the cushion).

Would a motorcycle handle grip work? They come in 7/8" and 1". There's something called Re-Grip. I know nothing about them except seeing an ad.

On 9/20/2015 12:59 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I don't think so. It seems like most of these have 1.25" diameter handles onto which the "cushion material" is applied: - pole saw - shears (look like giant scissors) - pruning saw - landscape rakes - "loppers" (no idea what they are called... used to cut very thick branches?) - 15' extension handle for paint roller etc.

I'll chase it down. Thanks!
We have a "Dave's" that opened here, recently. I'll see what they have (they *don't* have "bicycle handlebar tape" but I didn't think to check the other "departments")
WHAT IS A "DAVE'S"?
On 9/20/2015 6:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

s.b. "Dick's" -- Dick's Sporting Goods