replacement switch for a Pro Standard pedestal fan?

I have a Pro Standard pedestal fan that was purchased from Lowes probably 8-10 years ago. It has good velocity and fairly sturdy construction (metal blades, etc)- except for the 3 speed switch which just broke.
I have tried searching for a replacement switch and haven't been able to find much at all. I paid pretty good money for it and would like to be able to fix it rather than pitch it.
Can someone help me please?
Thanks!

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? Do you have a picture or a circuit diagram? Is the switch located where you can retrofit a replacement? Do you actually use all the different speeds or are you like me and have it always at the same setting? If the latter is the case it's pretty easy to convert it to a single speed fan with a little soldering. Much easier to suggest fixes in detail with some photos, especially of the switch wiring.
-- Bobby G.

The name on the front of the fan is Pro Standard. I haven't been able to identify anything about the manufacturer. The switch is just bolted onto the fan cage. It would be nice to have different speeds, but if the only alternative is one speed, that would do I suppose. I'm attaching links to photos below:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1156578/IMG_4332.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1156578/IMG_4342.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1156578/IMG_4343.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1156578/IMG_4344.JPG
spam disintegrator wrote:

remove the switch. wire it straight through so that it's on high speed all the time. make a 3 position switch by using a box that you mount a ceiling fan 3 position switch into. the box would have a cord/plug on one side of the switch, and a normal socket on the other side, that you can then plug the fan into.

Looks like there is a capacitor hanging off the speed controller.. Can you figure out the wiring from what is left of the switch? If you could, it is possible a 3-way lamp switch might be kluged to give you at least tqo motor speeds.
On 6/16/2011 7:46 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

If you mean a switch like for a 30-70-100W bulb, the action is A, B, A+B. The motor would probably not like the A+B.
Some possibilities from Grainger:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=4x739&op=search&Ntt=4x739&N=0&sst=subset (p/n 4x739) This is a rotary switch with 4 positions like what you have. You wouldn't connect a wire to one of the positions (off). It may not fit.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=2x466&op=search&Ntt=2x466&N=0&sst=subset (p/n 2x466) This is a toggle switch with On-CenterOff-On action. These are not too hard to find. You could keep 2 speeds.
I am assuming the switch connects one wire at a time for the different speeds. A lot of times I try to fix switches. Sometimes it works.
--
bud--

My best idea would be to disassemble the fan, remove the switch, then find one that matches both the specifications and size through McMaster-Carr, Digi-Key, etc.
Useta be that there would be good electronics supply stores around where you could just walk in and they'd have what you needed, but there's only one around here that I know of (metro DC area) haven't really seen a good and helpful one since I moved out of Michigan some 10 years ago.
nate

Is someone having a bad day? Believe it or not, I know the difference between google groups and usenet. I also know many other technical things like that AOL is not "the internet". :P
I rarely get on usenet- my ISP stopped access to usenet and i'm not going to pay some place for a subscription service etc. This google account is old- and I'm not a heavy usenet user. Go have a beer, it's on me.
Maybe someone will reply to this so this internet snob can read it.