Replacement Rake Handle

I had one of those three-clawed garden diggers for years but the handle sna pped recently. I bought a replacement rake handle but the hole in the new h andle is 7/16" while the diameter of the claw tool tang is only 5/16". I'm considering two options to fix the tool in the handle. I could mix up some epoxy, pour it into the handle hole, then insert the tool and let it set up overnight. The other option is to put some wood slivers into the hole and pound the tool into the handle, counting on the tension of the compressed s livers to hold it in place.
Any other thoughts on the best way to do this?
Paul
On 5/22/2016 5:08 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

My first thought is to wrap the handle in some kind of tape. Electrical tape, possibly friction tape. Or first aid tape. Enough for a snug fit. Drill a few holes in the digger. Pilot hole, and then screw through the digger, into the handle.
On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 5:31:36 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

ew handle is 7/16" while the diameter of the claw tool tang is only 5/16". I'm considering two options to fix the tool in the handle. I could mix up s ome epoxy, pour it into the handle hole, then insert the tool and let it se t up overnight. The other option is to put some wood slivers into the hole and pound the tool into the handle, counting on the tension of the compress ed slivers to hold it in place.

Good idea about the screw for extra holding power.
Paul
On 5/23/2016 9:49 AM, Pavel314 wrote:

At church, we had a handle fall off a snow shovel. The handle went into the taper part of the shovel. A metal staple of some kind had rusted, and gotten weak. I put in a sheet metal screw, and that helped a lot.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Pavel314 wrote:

JB weld , and notch the tang to give it a tooth . You might want to wedge a sliver or two to hold it centered up in the hole .
--
Snag

On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 6:05:21 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

I looked up JB weld and it comes in several varieties. Do you have a favorite or would they all work pretty much the same?
Paul
Pavel314 wrote:

The original stuff , IIRC the tubes are red and black (it's the 8265S) . The quikset variety would work too , but I think the ultimate strength is a bit less .
--
Snag

Take the rake handle back for a refund and buy a new cultivator. You will be happy you did.
On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 6:29:13 PM UTC-4, Gordon Shumway wrote:

w handle is 7/16" while the diameter of the claw tool tang is only 5/16". I 'm considering two options to fix the tool in the handle. I could mix up so me epoxy, pour it into the handle hole, then insert the tool and let it set up overnight. The other option is to put some wood slivers into the hole a nd pound the tool into the handle, counting on the tension of the compresse d slivers to hold it in place.

I've been looking for a new cultivator but they don't have them at any of t he local stores. I know this is probably more trouble than it's worth, but it's more of a fun project, just to see if I can fix it.
Paul
On 5/23/2016 9:47 AM, Pavel314 wrote:

With the way the USA is going, may times the old equipment is far better quality than what is sold in stores in 2016. As such, your device may well be worth the effor to repair the old one.
I do much the same with my old model lawn mower. For the cost of replacement parts, I could have bought a new mower a long time ago.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 5:08:39 PM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:

handle is 7/16" while the diameter of the claw tool tang is only 5/16". I' m considering two options to fix the tool in the handle. I could mix up som e epoxy, pour it into the handle hole, then insert the tool and let it set up overnight. The other option is to put some wood slivers into the hole an d pound the tool into the handle, counting on the tension of the compressed slivers to hold it in place.

Whatever filler you choose, I would definitely add a screw as Stormy sugges ted. You run the risk of the filler cracking under the "sideways pressure". The screw (or tw o) would help prevent movement.
On 05/22/2016 03:08 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!