Replacement of Toilet Fluidmaster

I am about to replace the water control SmartValve in an American Standard Champion toilet. (The waterflow does not shut off at end of filling up the tank.) American Standard was good enought to send me a replacement part (Fluidmaster, adjustable) under warranty coverage, but no instructions included.
Since I have never done this before, I would like to know if any type of sealant is required ? and, if so, what should be used and where should it be applied?
TnX.
On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:03:33 -0500, Vince

No sealant is necessary. Here is a Fluidmaster video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6J0QRBBmvw

On 6/26/2009 1:47 PM Oren spake thus:

Not only no sealants, but I believe no tools are required either (all connections are supposed to only be finger-tight).

Look in the box again-- they put a detailed instruction sheet in...

The replacement Fluidmaster is now installed. A slow drip/leak is one problem. I do not yet know if the leak is from water within the tank or from the coupling at the water feedline outside the tank. A rigid section of tubing is used between the wall shutoff valve and the tank. I might need to tighten that coupling some more.
The other problem is that, it seems to me, the water level within the bowl is not what it was when the original SmartValve was in use. I think the water valve is closing too soon. I also notice that the water does not flow through the flexible tube into the overflow stack. Adjustment of the Fluidmaster "Water Level Adjustment" plastic screw does not help to raise the water level within the tank to the level that it was when the original SmartValve was installed.
Any suggestions?
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:04:46 -0500, Vince

Place a paper towel near, where you think a leak may be (even overnight).
Drops will show on the paper, even when dry. It gives you a starting point for slow leaks.

Adjust the float?
http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-replace-a-toilet-fluidmaster-3237

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-replace-a-toilet-fluidmaster-3237 http://www.fluidmaster.com/html/pdf/400ak_instructions.pdf
--
Peace,
BobJ

BobJ:
Thanks for the info. The .pdf instrux helps a great deal. It turns out that I did not do the float height adjustment. I will have to take it apart and do that now. Too bad that AmericanStandard did not include any instrux.
Looking at the original SmartValve, I am unable to turn the height adjustment. Is there a locking mechanism that must be undone ?
Should there be waterflow through the flexible tube into the ?Overflow? stack at the end of the fill cycle ? I think that that would flow into the bowl until the Fluidmaster valve closes off.

if not:
There is no locking mechanism. You need to turn it harder. Make sure you hold the bottom of the tube firmly when you turn the top.
Yes, the flexible tube should go into the overflow tube. There is a clip that should hold it in place.
--
Peace,
BobJ