Replacement for 150 w indoor floods?

I have a room that is primarily lit by two recessed lights - installed at least 20 years ago. They take indoor floods, and I've always used 150 watt bulbs. Now I can't find the 150 watters anywhere - just 120 watts - and they are noticably dimmer. Can anyone suggest a suitable replacement - maybe halogen? - that would give the same light as the 150 watt floods?
Thanks, Sara

you could try cfl's.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Sara) wrote in

Don't go halogen. They would probably be too hot for the enclosure
I've come across this kind of thing a lot. I know it's intended as an energy-saving measure, but in practice one may replace the original fitting by two and end up using a larger total wattage than before.
MB
On 04/28/04 02:12 pm Sara put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

When you shop for a bulb, look at the "Lumens" output not the "Wattage" . The Lumens relate to how bright the bulb actually is and allows you to directly compare brands. Wattage is only a rating of how much electricity is used.
In the old days when there was only incandescent lighting and most manufacturers essentially made the same thing, wattage became synonomus with light output. This is not true anymore, you can get a 13W compact fluorescent (CFL) that is as bright as a 55W incandescent. I have seen CFL for outdoor use even brighter but don't know offhand the brightness, it should be on the package.
With a diffuser, a CFL light should get you what you want (can't comment on how well it wil fit your fixture though) and not seem like a shop light. Best part is it will last longer and cost less to operate than the 150W you are replacing. Check with your local utility for rebates on such lamps as they do cost a bit more.

Several companies are now making CFL floods. 150W equivalent would be roughly 40W CFL. I've seen 45W CFL floods in commercial settings; I'm not sure of the standard CFL floods out now.
But check the lumens, as Autotracer suggests, to be more accurate.
Mike
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:12:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Sara) wrote:

Thanks for all the replies and information. This newsgroup is the best! I'll start researching compact flourescents and see if they will solve the problem.
Sara
Or start looking for a 180 watt replacement, maybe someone wll offer a 150 - watt as an energy-saving alternative...