Replacement Brass Tub Drain

Hi,

I am NOT good at home repair or plumbing, so please excuse me if I explain this like a 2-year old.

A few years ago, we remodeled our master bathroom and switched the fixtures in the sink and shower to brass. Anyway maybe, in hindsight, we may not have picked the best set for the shower as we didn't know what we were doing.

That said, I take it the set the plumber used for the shower was simply brass coated as while the faucet and shower head are still fine, the brass (or cheap brass coating) on the tub drain itself seems to have worn away. So, we have brass in the tub except for the drain at the bottom of the tub where we have this ugly browish metal drain with no "brass" coloring left to it. It doesn't seem to be tarnish, it seems the set was cheap and the "brass" color is washed away from that piece after a few years of water running through it day after day.

This seems to be a simple round piece metal that screws down and probably cost $2.00 to replace as the pipes and rest of the set are still like new. However, I can't find a replacement drain anywhere. Actually, it's not the "drain" I need.. it's the lousy drain cover I guess that I need to replace.

However, I can't find this one small piece sold on it's own anyway, even eBay. They all want to sell me the entire drain and pile, much more than I need.

Can someone be kind enough to tell me the proper name for what I am trying to replace "drain cover?" and how to get JUST THAT. Home Depot, Lowes, etc seem to have the entire set and nothing less.

Thanks!

Reply to
Ryan

If you asked for a tub waste strainer grid, they'd know what you were talking about.

Try a real plumbing supply house or buy one online. In person is safer as you can bring the old one to make sure it's an exact fit.

RicodJour

Yep. Buy the whole set. It's called "Tub Waste and Overflow" assy. Oh....and be damn sure you buy the same mfr/model as the threads and size may vary.

The parts left over? Sell 'em on eBay:-)

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

If it's "browish" (sic) it is brass that has tarnished. What "washed away" was the protective coating (lacquer, probably) that kept the brass from tarnishing.

Get some brass polish and use it on the tarnish...it will be pretty yellow again. For a while.

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH