Replacement batteries?

I have a cordless drill from DeWalt that I got from a clearance sale a while back I think for something like $129 and it included two batteries and charger.
Now the batteries are charging up but draining very fast. I went and looked at the new ones and they go for $70 a piece. WOW! $70 for a new replacement 12V battery?
Is there a way to fix this instead of getting new ones?
I guess it's because I charged them before they were fully drained, or that I left them on the charger too long after they were fully charged? or just they go bad after two years?
Or is there a reliable online source to get good "used" or reconditioned batteries?
Thanks,
MC

$33 at http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm $47 to upgrade to higher powered NIHM

you mean NiMH. does that include the new charger? if you don't have a smart charger,the new cells won't last long.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Of course not, what do you want for $47? Works with my charger. Probably most in the past 5 to 8 years.
What they say is: NIMH -Maximum capacity packs: NiMh batteries are usually available in two battery sizes. Small packs were 1.5 AH and large battery packs were 2.2 AH We rebuild the small case with 2.1 AH and the larger packs are improved to 3.3 AH. Either rebuild usually adds 50% more run time.
Some batteries can be upgraded from NiCd to NiMh cells - The question is can your charger be used with NiMh? Unless the original charger is identified for use with NiMh, it is probably not adaptable to NiMh. The charger may not provide an adequate charge rate to fill the larger capacity NiMh cells. This condition is usually never noticed, since even if not completely filled, the battery will provide much more run time that the original NiCds.

Well how long is a while back? a few weeks or a few years? How old were the batteries when you got the drill. As a clearance item, they may have been on the shelf for years before you even saw them. I suspect they are just too old now.
Now about the price. Look around. I have generally been able to get batteries for less than half of what you were quoted.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
MiamiCuse wrote:

It's a dilemma.
After disassembling a Dust Buster to get to the batteries, I found that it would cost $18 to replace them.
I bought a new, equivalent, Red Devil at Walmart for $16.95.
I did, however, buy a replacement battery for my Makita drill from an Ebay seller for about half the Makita price. Works swell.
Quote: MiamiCuse wrote on Sat, 21 June 2008 10:54 ----------------------------------------------------

I don't think you can fix this in any way. I've bought laptop batteries from ebatts.com before. They also have dewalt tool batteries. Checkout:
http://www.ebatts.com/dewalt_power-tool_models.aspx
-- Richard Thoms Founder - Top Service Pros, Inc. Connecting Homeowners and Local Service Professionals http://www.TopServicePros.com
topservicepros wrote: ...

Of course it can be fixed in some way--battery packs are rebuilt routinely...

http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm
they do a excllent job, way better than original

Try here for decent priced new replacements: http://www.electronics-storefront.com/search.php?key fe1e5ce644277297793c0a0771cd52 These batteries are made by other manufacturers and I have had good results with them.
For rebuilds try here: http://www.voltmanbatteries.com/servlet/StoreFront