Replaceing a counter top

I am replacing a 1974 counter top and looked in the cabinets to see if the existing counter top is screwed from the bottom. It is not. Therefore it must be screwed from the top. It appears to be plywood on top of the cabinets with the laminate top glued on. Is hammer and chisel the only way to get the surface off?
Hi,
Most of the time laminate comes off real hard. I use a hammer and a strong putty knife. be careful! I have seen people get cut so bad on laminate they had nerve damage. Seriously. I normally put new laminate over old laminate when possible by the way. Otherwise just tear the old counter off. Find the screws and chip away the laminate on top to access them. It is a real mother but sometimes crap goes that way.
candice
Are you sure it's screwed on to start with? Sometimes they glued these on. See if you can run a putty knive between the old counter and the cabinets. If it goes in, then it's probably screwed. Try to slide the knife along until you find the screws. You may be able to work a hacksaw blade in and cut the screws along the front and sides, and then pry the old counter up enough to get at any screws in the back.

strong
they had

when
screws
I would start by taking the banding off around the counters. This can easily be done with a 5-in-1 tool and a hammer. (use eye protection). The banding is the ~1.5 inch edge around the counters that overhangs the drawers. Once you get that off, you will have a better idea of how the builder attached the counter tops. Most (a lot) of the time the banding is just a thin strip of wood used to give thickness to the counter. You can remove that with the 5-in-1 or chessel as well. Then you should be able to see what the decking is attached with. I did this with my counters that were tile on top of laminate on top of plywood that was attached to solid oak cabinates with about 2,658,304 nails attached with an air-nailer :( I replaced my counters with Corian. One of the best choices I've ever made.............
v/r Jerry

usually the plywood is nailed from the top.
>It appears to be plywood on top of the

a hammer and flat bar will remove it in seconds with NO damage. pry upward along the side of each nail (or screw)
Not sure if this will help, but try using a magnet on top of the laminate to help locate the screws or nails beneath the laminate. -mikey
3GCPO wrote:

EmbErna wrote:

If you have a craft store like Michael's you can buy small package of super strong little magnets for about $4. These are so strong you literaly can't put them directly apart with your bare hands - you have to slide them apart. Anyway, these work great for locating drywall screws and hidden nails.
Michael
Dave:
D > I am replacing a 1974 counter top and looked in the cabinets to see if the D > existing counter top is screwed from the bottom. It is not. Therefore it D > must be screwed from the top. It appears to be plywood on top of the D > cabinets with the laminate top glued on. Is hammer and chisel the only way D > to get the surface off?
When we had the kitchen redone the guy kicked the countertop from underneath - presumeably he was wearing steel-toed boots.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* I'm watching my weight. It's going up just fine, thanks.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971

the
it
way