Replaced bathroom fan timer, risk of fire???

Hello,
This might be a stupid question but I thought I'd ask it anyway to be safe.
I just replaced a torque-driven bathroom fan timer with a digital one. I am 100% sure the connections are correct and it is functioning fine. My question is this:
It was a VERY tight fit to get all of the wires (Ground, Neutral, Line, Load) and twist-on connectors back in the box. I folded them as carefully as I could but I really had to force them in. I am a bit worried that if one of the connections comes loose there could be a risk of fire or shock. Anybody have any thoughts on this???
Thanks
Dirk Puslich wrote:

There should not be a heat problem, but it sounds like you have too many connections and devices for the work box size. The extra size of the digital control may have taken too much.
Unless one of our professionals say otherwise, then I would suggest you are ok for now, but if you have to open it up again, I would consider replacing the existing box with a larger one. Trying to squeeze too much into a too small box can result in stress on connections that may cause them to fail. But that would generally happen only when you are working in the box.
There is a chance that you may have caused a partial failure and that could cause extra heat due to a poor connections. With the typical loads (without a heater) in the usual bath fan application it is not likely to be a problem. However if you have a pass through, then again it could be a bigger problem.
In short, I would likely leave it until I had to work on it again, some would not bother not matter what and some may tell you to go back now and fix it right. I will defer to those who work in this stuff and know the national codes.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Dirk Puslich wrote:

No problem. That's why the box is metal - if a fire breaks out, it will be contained within the metal enclosure. Most of the time.
On 30 May 2004 15:14:27 -0700, dirk snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dirk Puslich) wrote:

Electrical boxes are made of various sizes. Each size can allow up to so many connections, then you need to move to a larger box size. Usually the electronic switches are smaller than the mechanical ones. Did you check to make sure all the wires are secure and tight? I pull on each wire after securing with a wire nut to be sure. You could shorten some wires to make more room. Make sure your timer is on a GFIC.
You are correct. If I were you, I'd just dump a gallon of gas under that timer, toss a match and collect the insurance money.