Replace Waterbed Mattress With Air?

I hope this isn't OT. My water bed mattress started to leak and I wondered if anyone has replaced their water bed mattress with air and if they think it's more comfortable or less. I found these three options:
https://www.my-waterbed-shop.com/store/Basket-view.cfm
http://www.airbediq.com/bospslcoairm1.html
http://www.e-waterbeds.com/air-mattress.asp#Heavy%20Duty
Also, do I need a 24 mil thickess for almost double the cost of an 18 mil thickness?
Frankster wrote:

My lady friend replaced a water bed with a sleep number air bed. California King size. It OK. She uses the water bed frame and it is a pain to make the bed.
Do they still make waterbeds? I thought they died in the 1970's along with disco.
I never could understand how anyone could sleep on those things without getting sea sick.

On 11/2/2010 6:15 AM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

I got involved with this gal who owned a water bed..........
TDD

The original ones were just balloons. My first one, I made a frame with 2 x 10's and door hinges. Later, they made them with baffles to keep the motion down, but still only one fill hole. Then they made them with compartments, and more than one fill hole. I have one that has about twelve round cylinders, and you can fill each differently to get differing hardnesses. The outside frame is a solid frame with about a 2" padding all around. The top zips on, and is about as thick as a pillow top bed.
All in all, it is very substantially made and very expensive. And it sucks. I have three other beds in our vacation rentals that I would rather sleep on, and they are just common pillow tops.
I want to go to one of those specialty bed store one of these days and try some, both the air, and that outer space foam stuff. Since I broke my back, sleeping has not been the same. Guess I need to try one of those 90 day trials, as they are very spendy. Worth it, if it is better, though.
Beds are about as individual as you get as per preferences.
Steve