Replace Under Cabinet Lighting?

Basically for as long as I can remember these lights (at my parents house) have been burning out constantly. They are from 1974 and IMO they need to be replaced. Should we call somebody to do it, or can they be done by somebody who can replace electrical outlets and switches? I'm not Bob Villa, but I do know how to use tools and the like. Here is what they look like:

Edward

You might want to either use an existing outlet or put an outlet where the old lamps get their juice and replace the incandescent stuff with LED or fluorescent "fixtures."

You can get very efficient and very bright "hockey puck" type LED fixtures or compact fluorescent fixtures from your "big box" hardware store and even Wal-Mart.

Reply to
John Gilmer

I don't quite understand. They are already wired so I don't need juice. Having outlets there is not a problem.

Reply to
Edward

Those are the basic cheap fluorescents. They are trivial to replace with a screwdriver (assuming they aren't glued in or something silly, people use construction adhesive for all sorts of things!).

I have them in my kitchen, and found that spending a couple of extra $ on the "1-upgrade" lights rather than the absolute cheapest made a difference. Mine were under $20 each, as opposed to under $10 for the real cheapies.

Halogen or even LED is certa> Basically for as long as I can remember these lights (at my parents

Reply to
Andrew Duane

Kickass! I figured they weren't difficult to replace. There doesn't seem to be much to them. What about modern electronic ballast fluorescents?

Reply to
Edward