Replace Under Cabinet Lighting?

Basically for as long as I can remember these lights (at my parents house) have been burning out constantly. They are from 1974 and IMO they need to be replaced. Should we call somebody to do it, or can they be done by somebody who can replace electrical outlets and switches? I'm not Bob Villa, but I do know how to use tools and the like. Here is what they look like:
http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00711largehc4.jpg
You might want to either use an existing outlet or put an outlet where the old lamps get their juice and replace the incandescent stuff with LED or fluorescent "fixtures."
You can get very efficient and very bright "hockey puck" type LED fixtures or compact fluorescent fixtures from your "big box" hardware store and even Wal-Mart.

I don't quite understand. They are already wired so I don't need juice. Having outlets there is not a problem.
Those are the basic cheap fluorescents. They are trivial to replace with a screwdriver (assuming they aren't glued in or something silly, people use construction adhesive for all sorts of things!).
I have them in my kitchen, and found that spending a couple of extra $ on the "1-upgrade" lights rather than the absolute cheapest made a difference. Mine were under $20 each, as opposed to under $10 for the real cheapies.
Halogen or even LED is certainly a way to go, expect to pay somewhat more. Decent halogens would have cost at least twice as much as my fluorescents.

Kickass! I figured they weren't difficult to replace. There doesn't seem to be much to them. What about modern electronic ballast fluorescents?