replace sump pump switch?

I have a sump pump with a few years of moderate use on it. I replaced it recently because the float switch had become unreliable. Now that it's the "spare" sump pump, I am wondering if I can get a replacement switch for it. It's a submersible sump pump and the float switch is the kind with a cylindrical float at the end of a foot or so of wire and it just bobs up and down. Just wondering if it's possible to replace just that part. It appears that where the wire enters the pump housing there is a nut that holds it on somehow; haven't tried to remove that. Testing it in a bucket outside, as near as I can tell the pump works fine but the float switch sometimes doesn't turn it on even though i'ts in the upright position.
I have a sump pump with a few years of moderate use on it. I replaced it recently because the float switch had become unreliable. Now that it's the "spare" sump pump, I am wondering if I can get a replacement switch for it. It's a submersible sump pump and the float switch is the kind with a cylindrical float at the end of a foot or so of wire and it just bobs up and down. Just wondering if it's possible to replace just that part. It appears that where the wire enters the pump housing there is a nut that holds it on somehow; haven't tried to remove that. Testing it in a bucket outside, as near as I can tell the pump works fine but the float switch sometimes doesn't turn it on even though i'ts in the upright position.
On Tue, 29 May 2007 10:08:20 -0700, Heathcliff wrote:

absolutely. did you search the internet? I believe its called a tethered float switch. You don't necessarily have to use the same kindn either.

Yes I have searched without joy. If you can point me to a specific source that would be much appreciated. -- H
On Tue, 29 May 2007 13:56:37 -0700, Heathcliff wrote:

I would start by searching for the company that makes your sump pump.
my pump is a Lowes version of a Wayne pump
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=frameSet&url=www.waynereliantone.com/pages/sump.html
my switch seems to get dirty sometimes. I cleaned it.

Yes I have searched without joy. If you can point me to a specific source that would be much appreciated. -- H
On 29 May 2007 14:48:13 -0700, Heathcliff

I searched on teathered float switch shipping and got
http://www.rockaroundtheblock.com.au/categories.asp?cID7 OR http://72.14.209.104/search?q che:uo1ZURMtO88J:www.rockaroundtheblock.com.au/categories.asp%3FcID%3D37+tethered+float+switch+shipping&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd&gl=us&lr=lang_en|lang_iw|lang_es&client=firefox-a
And
http://www.pumpshop.us/floats-and-controls.html OR http://72.14.209.104/search?q che:zP3fSgiFjHEJ:www.pumpshop.us/floats-and-controls.html+tethered+float+switch+shipping&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd&gl=us&lr=lang_en|lang_iw|lang_es&client=firefox-a
46 to 85 dollars plus shipping. One model will iiuc control two pumps, although maybe it would be better to have a separate switch for each????
Or you might be able to open up the current one and replace only the electric switch if that seems to be the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if the real problme is that the switch is loose in its housing and only has to be glued back in place. Regluing so that it's waterproof would be the hard part here, but maybe not so hard.

Perhaps more likely that the switch assembly has gotten corroded and gotten stuck, or the contacts have gotten welded. A couple hard shakes or knocks against something might clear up the problem, but unless you can see the contacts, I wouldn't trust it except under "supervision" ;-)
If you were to replace it, I'd be worried about getting the pump itself sealed again.
If you need to replace the switch, it's worth considering a plug-type switch instead of a direct wire. Bypass the switch circuit inside the pump, so the pump itself is always on, and seal the housing thoroughly. Then use a switch like 1002715 on http://www.pumpshop.us/pump-switches.html . Then if the pump or switch fails again, it's easier to replace, and you still have usable components.
I converted a pump having one of those for utility duty (emptying a pool cover), simply by removing the switch. But I'm using the switch for something else too, sorry ;-)
Local well pump shops should have these things on the shelf.
--
Chris Lewis,

On Thu, 31 May 2007 15:57:22 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote:

I looked at one of the webpages I cited, farther down, and it turns out the switch they sell doesn't use a separate switch. It's a switch constructed within the float, and it uses a metal ball that moves between contacts, or not between them when the pump is off.
If this weren't a critical use, I might still try it, but you're right, one doesn't want his sump pump to break.