Replace Sears circular saw?

Page 2 of 2

Blade on backwards? OK, stop laughing.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

There are times when the blade is purposely put on backwards, like to cut through vinyl siding on a house. It sort of melts it's way through without cracking the old vinyl. The saw that only gets used 2 times a year gets forgotten about and there you have it, a blade on backwards.
Not to mention that most or all new saw blades have the rotation marked on it with arrows. Evidently some people need the arrows or they wouldn't be there. Me? I manage quite well without the arrows but for some people they change the blade, installing a used blade with the arrows worn off, and oops. Sounds stupid, but some people simply don't have the ability to look and understand mechanical things the way we do.

My 25yo B&D indeed roars. Kerf is a tad wide too :-)

Higgs Boson wrote:

Hi, If blade is not the problem. Check brushes on the motor.
Higgs Boson wrote:

I don't think they give a lifetime warranty on any power tools.
On 10/16/2009 4:10 PM Higgs Boson spake thus:

Doesn't apply to power tools like this, apparently, as others here have stated.

Question: does it "roar" more than it did before? Do you remember how noisy it use to be? Keep in mind that circular saws are generally noisy beasts.
If it seems about as loud as before, probably nothing wrong with the saw itself. Either the blade is dull, or installed backwards (which would certainly explain poor cutting).

Higgs Boson wrote:

If you mean their guarantee of satisfaction, not nearly as well as they did when they were the biggest retailer on planet Earth. The question is, did they quit honoring that warranty because they're no longer the biggest, or are they no longer the biggest because they quit honoring that warranty?
I don't believe Sears ever warranted power tools for life, just most hand Craftsman tools, but excepted from that lifetime warranty are Craftsman measuring tools (calipers, torque wrenches) and cutting tools (saw blades, drill bits, router bits).

Could it be the motor brushes?
If the Sears part number is still legible, try Sears.com since they have service information for quite a few of their products and other brands.