Replace Sears circular saw?

If you mean their guarantee of satisfaction, not nearly as well as they did when they were the biggest retailer on planet Earth. The question is, did they quit honoring that warranty because they're no longer the biggest, or are they no longer the biggest because they quit honoring that warranty?

I don't believe Sears ever warranted power tools for life, just most hand Craftsman tools, but excepted from that lifetime warranty are Craftsman measuring tools (calipers, torque wrenches) and cutting tools (saw blades, drill bits, router bits).

Could it be the motor brushes?

If the Sears part number is still legible, try Sears.com since they have service information for quite a few of their products and other brands.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Oops, completely missed the subject line...

Reply to
Larry Fishel

For that saw - yes. Better to get a good quality saw used.

or any of the other thousands for sale out there. eBay, Craigslist, pawn shop.

RicodJour

My dad worked construction all his life. For a while he bought "contractor grade" saws. Instead of them going bad they would just need "work", like new bearings, brushes, etc. Which was more trouble then just buying new. About halfway thru his career he switched to just buying a cheap skill saw and throwing it out at the end of a job. Also, the "good stuff" was usually a lot heavier which make them more tiresome to use. That may not be as true today since so much stuff, even good stuff, is made of plastic.

My experience as a non-pro for stuff like this is that what works well is not necessarily the absolute cheapest. I get inexpensive stuff with a warranty good enough to make it thru the early failure period. They last a long time for occasional use.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Give amazon.com a look. They have factory recon Ryobi & Skil saws for $30-40.

Personally- I'd figure out what my budget was. . . add $20-30 and get the best rebuilt saw I could find. That circular saw should be kicking around for a long time [at least 3 of us in this thread have

25-40 year old B&D's], and there's nothing more frustrating than a saw that slips out of adjustment when you least expect it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

There are times when the blade is purposely put on backwards, like to cut through vinyl siding on a house. It sort of melts it's way through without cracking the old vinyl. The saw that only gets used 2 times a year gets forgotten about and there you have it, a blade on backwards.

Not to mention that most or all new saw blades have the rotation marked on it with arrows. Evidently some people need the arrows or they wouldn't be there. Me? I manage quite well without the arrows but for some people they change the blade, installing a used blade with the arrows worn off, and oops. Sounds stupid, but some people simply don't have the ability to look and understand mechanical things the way we do.

Reply to
Tony

And this time put it on so the arrow goes in the correct way for the rotation;

Joe

Reply to
Joe