Replace Porch Light Bulbs - too high. Is there a trick to this?

Page 2 of 2
jch wrote:

to have the fixture changed to one you can use with a pole to change bulbs. The poles work nicely - have used them at our condo. Rather than a chain hanger, it could have tubing that keeps it a bit more stable to make the pole easier to use.
As for the flood light, I'd want that changed too ... some kind of yard light with m.d.?
Norminn wrote:

Yep. A motion detector replacement floodlight is what I want but can't readily get to the existing floodlight 18ft up. It's crazy. At least I've been able to replace the lights on the flood. The porchlight is a different story. Can't access it at all unless I get the new ladder and except for this one fixture, my 6ft ladder is quite adequate around the house for other jobs. Seems ridiculous to have to buy a new ladder just to change a porchlight bulb. This whole thing adds new meaning to the riddle "How many people does it take to change a light bulb?". I appreciate all the reponses. Thanks.

Not trying to preach but NOT having high ceilings and or roof edges etc. is what we decided when we built this house 38 years ago. After living on a windy hill facing North Eastern gales off the Atlantic!
I am 5 foot 10 and 75. Can therefore easily reach say seven feet. That dimension plus being four feet up a step ladder is more than adequate to reach almost everything except for the end eaves of the house. The soffits of our roof, for example, are about nine feet off the ground. I can reach and paint just about every outside area of this house from a regular 5 foot step ladder. A low house avoids the wind and noise and saves energy.
Only suggestion is get a) A good sturdy taller step ladder. b) Get or borrow a proper extension ladder for the 18 foot job. Have someone hold ladder and/or tie it securely while you are up there. Use two good quality lamps so that lamp replacement is less frequent.
I visited a home with a very high entrance fixture, like a outdoor chandlier, asked how they changed bulbs.
turned out it was on a reel of wire, a retracting cord, they pulled it down for easy relamping and cleaning right from ground.
The OP coul;d put the fixture on a dimmer with regular bulbs, lamp life skyrockets at 100 volts if they have access but want to minimize replacing lamps

Form rarely follows function. Whoever designed the house thought it looked good so they did it with no consideration given to replacing the bulbs.
Quit wringing your hands and fretting your life away over this. Get a taller ladder.

That is the answer. It just happened to be part of the question.