Replace or Repair Garage Door Opener?

Page 2 of 2

If you can get the part for $10 and install it yourself in an hour or less, why not? If you have to pay a service guy $50 to install the gear, I'd probably buy a replacement unit. They are rated for a certain number of cycles, but you are replacing the main part that wears out.
Finman wrote:

Hi, I'd fix it if part is available. Make sure spring is balanced so it won't stress the opener moving the dorr up/down.

The repair kits are widely available, and at varying but usually reasonable prices. Half an hour's work for a good handiman or an hour of cursing for a less adept person makes it good as new. Just follow the (simple) instructions closely - particularly in regard to the application of the supplied lubricant.

If the gear is $10, you can easily get another 5 to 15 years from the opener. If the gear ends up being $50, buy a new lift.
While you are working on it, be sure the springs are balancing properly so as not to strain and wear parts out faster than needed.

Ironically, been there done that about two weeks ago. I think the shavings from the worn gear mostly happen during their last efforts of trying to grip into each other, only to slip more and more.
I have a Chamberlain (Liftmaster Product) and the exact same thing happened. I bought the kit containing the gears and replaced them all. It was easy as long as you lake your time. The kit cost me $40 and IMO, much better than spending $150 plus for another opener, then taking the time to remove the old and install the new.
Finman wrote the following:

My Craftsman Door opener gears were replaced some 6 years ago. It was 20 years old at the time. The Craftsman model number begins with 139 which makes it a Liftmaster. I have a Sears repair facility about 15 minutes away. The kit cost me $22.72 which included tax. I still have the box containing the parts that I did not replace, including the worm drive. I only used the nylon gear that the worm drive turned. The box contained the replacement gear, worm drive, washers, etc. necessary to completely replace all the old parts.
Text on the box. 65409 41A2817 Drive Gear and Worm Set. MFG Code 125512 Contents Made in the U.S.A
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY